Fume hood and a scrubber

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once you have nitric acid boiling in a confined space than the chances are very good that this substance becomes a part of the air that you breath.
When the system has many pipes than that is more of a problem and whatever blower you have isn't going to suck up that nitric in the air.

I forgot to mention that I will have another blower in that system taking the air out direct without a scrubber

Also I will have a sealed container for the lye and not like the one golldie made and that should keep the smell out
However would I need a 3rd blower in that room because he will have buckets of acids and waste water with lye and it can be very strong that smell.
Does anyone have any suggestions
Thanks

You have to be careful with adding to many blowers. You may over come the ability of the important one to function properly.

Hi qst42know
When a person does refining in their back yard than they have no problem with the deadly fumes but when it is in a closed shop than it is very dangerous,
The bad thing is that a person does not know the quality of the air they breath because they get used to it
Before you know it they start to breath in that deadly air and it can have all kinds of bad effects on a person
too many blowers are no good or draft from there and there is no good
I think some kind of a gauge to monitor the quality of the air is very important and that is something we should have.
I don't know where they sell these things maybe someone could find a link

If you have the recommended air flow through the hood, 100 cfm per square foot of hood opening, you shouldn't have an issue. The money you would spend on any air monitoring equipment would be better spent on a decent blower.

Hi 4metals
When you boil onions or garlic than the smell goes all over the house and no matter what you do it spreads.
I have been in many places where nitric is boiled and I think it is the same for that.
With a good blower you minimize the amount of the particles spreading but I don't think you can eliminate it completely.
I am just speaking from experience
I could be wrong.

Frankk12 said:
When you boil onions or garlic than the smell goes all over the house and no matter what you do it spreads.
I have been in many places where nitric is boiled and I think it is the same for that.
Do not confuse a stove hood with a fume hood. They have little in common, including the fact that the vast majority of stove hoods aren't even ducted, but just filter and return the same air.

With a good blower you minimize the amount of the particles spreading but I don't think you can eliminate it completely.
An effective fume hood will maintain a slight negative pressure in the room, which should prevent fumes from escaping. It also should be designed such that anything emanating from the operation at hand isn't capable of escaping so long as the blower is operating. Otherwise it's not much of a fume hood and will lull one in to a false sense of security.

Harold

Back