Fume hood design suggestions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tested this fume hood and scrubber system today with my 500g inquarted gold (expecting about 120g yield).
The scrubber is working great! I could see the brown fumes turning to clear fumes. Thank you 4metals!
Although I had to bring the volume down to about 3.2L because the first vessel was gaining its volume by condensation of the fumes. Speaking of condensation, I have condensations everywhere, from the reaction flask hose up to the other hoses.

I did not finish it today though as I never turned the heat up, I would go for the highest heat setting tomorrow and see how it would go.

FrugalRefiner said:
If you choose to bend PVC, fill it with sand and cap the ends before you heat it. Don't glue the caps on; just tap them on. The tapered joint will hold them on while you bend it. When you bend it around your form, the sand will help keep it from collapsing. Once it's cooled, you can remove the caps and empty the sand.

Dave
Thank you for the advice, the concept of your advice is very similar to jewelry tube bending. I will do this as I deem necessary, but I think I would have to re-design the hood. Too many condensations everywhere and they are building up. I think it would be better if the vacuum filtration setup are located at the bottom rather than at the top of the fume hood. Also my fume hood lacks height. The 4L filtering flasks fits in there but once I attach the buchner funnel I could no longer see what is going on in the filter paper.

Barren Realms 007 said:
You should be able to run 4" to the hood you have to do the job. You can heat PVC pipe in hot water or oil to bend it if that is required. You can make a jig for 90 deg turn and heat short lengths of pipe then use glue on couplings to connect it.
When I was designing this hood, everything was meant to be 4" as the space that I will be working on will be small. Apparently as soon as I tried to look for fans, the 4" fans where only rated at 200cfm. My hood requires at least 500cfm.

Attachments

• IMG-20160413-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20160413-WA0002.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 374
  • 20160413_183041.jpg
    20160413_183041.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 374
Ahh now I understand what your plan was! That looks pretty good- how do you deal with the loose fumes as opposed to the ones within the sealed reactions?

No scrubbing device yet for the loose fumes outside the reactor, they simply pass those aluminum ducting that I showed. I will decide whether to add one or not as soon as the aluminum ducting corrodes which I hope will be in a very long time because very tiny fumes escape.

autumnwillow said:
No scrubbing device yet for the loose fumes outside the reactor, they simply pass those aluminum ducting that I showed. I will decide whether to add one or not as soon as the aluminum ducting corrodes which I hope will be in a very long time because very tiny fumes escape.

Hi
Can you see my post here and help me?
Your scrubber is like an image in my post. see please:
http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=19965&start=30#p261996

I don't want make upper section for my hood. No problem ? :shock:
I want make a small cube for my small work. For example 40*40*40.
It is OK?

9v4m_20160307_211558_resized_1.jpg

The peaked section in the hood is not necessary if your blower is strong enough. Since most refining fumes rise upward from the reaction the peak, which directs fumes from all corners of the hood into the center where the exhaust blower is, allows the blower to be more effective. So in most cases you can get away with a smaller blower. Without a peaked top or an inclined internal baffle you will create "dead zones" inside the hood unless you have a powerful blower.

Back