Fume hood for Sodium Nitrate at 150F ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

924T

I'm looking at using Sodium Nitrate NaNO3, a concentrated solution at 150F as recommended here
on the GRF, for getting the Lead off of the backside of Northbridge chips.

I know nothing about the fumes from this process, whether they're major or minor, benign or dangerous.

Should I be using a fume hood, which I don't have, in conjunction with the NaNO3 process?

How about the same question, targeted at using HCl to leach the Pb?

Cheers,

Mike

I know nothing about the fumes from this process, whether they're major or minor, benign or dangerous.
WARNING: No "cartridge type" respirator will filter out nitric fumes, NONE!!!

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3781#p32197

Take care and be safe!
Phil

Only thing you can really do is vent directly into the atmosphere, or via a fume scrubber. Fume scrubbing is the most responsible way to do it, but if you are only producing small amounts of gas, then venting directly outside is alright, according to the EPA, so long as you are not putting animals, neighbors/people or plant life in the line of fire so to speak.

Scott

you are talking about sodium nitrate right?

I'm not sure why everyone is posting about NOx fumes.

Do you have a post on the process?

this is like hot salt water It will make steel rust and you will taste salt in your mouth.

however if you add an acid it will produce nitric acid and then you will have NOx fumes.

But as always don't drink, touch, or directly smell your solutions. :lol:

Eric

etack said:
you are talking about sodium nitrate right?

I'm not sure why everyone is posting about NOx fumes.

Do you have a post on the process?

this is like hot salt water It will make steel rust and you will taste salt in your mouth.

however if you add an acid it will produce nitric acid and then you will have NOx fumes.

But as always don't drink, touch, or directly smell your solutions. :lol:

Eric

Only one person posted about NOx, however, if the original poster ever does anything with AR, then NOx should be considered. If you are recovering and refining at home, I don't see why this wouldn't eventually be the case. Sodium Nitrate is often times added to HCl to create Nitric Acid in solution, which when it dissolves metals produces NOx gas.

Scott

philddreamer, SBrown, and etack,

Many thanks for responding to my question!

Yeah, I was talking about Sodium Nitrate, which I'm not sure, but I think is the basis for some
fertilizers.

But, I wholeheartedly agree about the concern about NOx-----------my wife's so negative about Aqua Regia that
I'll never be able to use it here, scrubber or no scrubber.

It sounds like NaNO3 would be relatively safe, as long as no acids, particularly HCl, are added.

The next thing up is figuring out how to get the lead back out of the NaNO3.

I know the process for getting the lead out of HCl is well documented, but the lower cost of NaNO3 is
what I'm finding attractive at this point.

Cheers,

Mike

Latest posts

Back