gas scrubbing solutions and concentrations

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinny

im using 3 stonylab 250 ml gas scrubber glass bubblers one will have clean distilled water probably number three in the series. the other two is where i need help one has ceramic filter ring material that ive crushed up with a hammer to a medium course fineness the other has activated charcoal pellets. i know i need one solution of hydrogen peroxide and one solution of caustic lye. as an experiment i added hydrogen peroxide to the activated carbon and got an exothermal reaction with fumes and the solution came close to boiling. the hydrogen peroxide is 6 percent lab grade. i added distilled water until the reaction stopped and hooked it up to my vacuum hose to see how it would work. i did the same with the ceramic substrate. what i havent done is mix a caustic lye solution and do the same tests. my question is which should i put in what my inclination is to make the ceramic hydrogen peroxide and the carbon a caustic lye solution. what concentration should i have of hydrogen peroxide to be effective and same for the lye i have powdered lye so i will have to mix with water and the ratio would be very helpful. also in the string of three should it go hydrogen peroxide first lye then water or lye then peroxide then water i appreciate all the feedback in advance

Attachments

• PXL_20240728_202705112.jpg
    PXL_20240728_202705112.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240728_202654733.jpg
    PXL_20240728_202654733.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240728_202708621.jpg
    PXL_20240728_202708621.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240728_202702904.jpg
    PXL_20240728_202702904.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240728_202651039.jpg
    PXL_20240728_202651039.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240728_202645487.jpg
    PXL_20240728_202645487.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240728_202640784.jpg
    PXL_20240728_202640784.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
im using 3 stonylab 250 ml gas scrubber glass bubblers one will have clean distilled water probably number three in the series. the other two is where i need help one has ceramic filter ring material that ive crushed up with a hammer to a medium course fineness the other has activated charcoal pellets. i know i need one solution of hydrogen peroxide and one solution of caustic lye. as an experiment i added hydrogen peroxide to the activated carbon and got an exothermal reaction with fumes and the solution came close to boiling. the hydrogen peroxide is 6 percent lab grade. i added distilled water until the reaction stopped and hooked it up to my vacuum hose to see how it would work. i did the same with the ceramic substrate. what i havent done is mix a caustic lye solution and do the same tests. my question is which should i put in what my inclination is to make the ceramic hydrogen peroxide and the carbon a caustic lye solution. what concentration should i have of hydrogen peroxide to be effective and same for the lye i have powdered lye so i will have to mix with water and the ratio would be very helpful. also in the string of three should it go hydrogen peroxide first lye then water or lye then peroxide then water i appreciate all the feedback in advance
You do not use any solids in these scrubbers.
Where did you find the information to do this?

ive been told by a few people here and based on all the images in the fumehood and scrubbers thread everyone uses bioballs or any other kind of sterile porous material for surface area and aeration. as the fumes pass through the solution the substrate creates surface area to keep fumes submerged for as long as possible before rising to the top and going to the next flask your the first person to tell me not to have anything in there why would i not want any kind of packing material? and do yo know the concentrations of the 3 solutions ill use?

not having packing material will make it simpler for sure but thats just not what ive seen so far i still dont know correctly though

ive been told by a few people here and based on all the images in the fumehood and scrubbers thread everyone uses bioballs or any other kind of sterile porous material for surface area and aeration. as the fumes pass through the solution the substrate creates surface area to keep fumes submerged for as long as possible before rising to the top and going to the next flask your the first person to tell me not to have anything in there why would i not want any kind of packing material? and do yo know the concentrations of the 3 solutions ill use?
Packing material is for full size online scrubbers not for these selective vacuum scrubbers.
And AC has no function in any scrubber as far as I know, at least not in the wet scrubbers.

The 250 ml vessels you have are tiny. I used 4 liter flasks, 3 of them to get any decent retention time. The 4 liter flasks have 16 times more volume for the reaction.

With the vacuum pump you bought the CFM is high and the volume of the vessels is low so the scrubber will do little to scrub the fumes. It will however eat your vacuum system.

the only other size they have of these scrubbers are 500 ml which i almost got but thats also why i added the packing material too was to add to the retention time as best i could by adding surface area but the gentleman above said that was wrong. im not sure what to do here i can try and return these and get the 500 ml ones but thats almost 200 hundred in glass i dont want to go to waste i know i can build one identical to yours i just was going for a clean asthetic

the only other size they have of these scrubbers are 500 ml which i almost got but thats also why i added the packing material too was to add to the retention time as best i could by adding surface area but the gentleman above said that was wrong. im not sure what to do here i can try and return these and get the 500 ml ones but thats almost 200 hundred in glass i dont want to go to waste i know i can build one identical to yours i just was going for a clean asthetic
You have been presented solutions to make them yourself by PVC.
If I'm not mistaken.
It is easy to make, and then you can select the size that fits you.

The 250 ml vessels you have are tiny. I used 4 liter flasks, 3 of them to get any decent retention time. The 4 liter flasks have 16 times more volume for the reaction.

With the vacuum pump you bought the CFM is high and the volume of the vessels is low so the scrubber will do little to scrub the fumes. It will however eat your vacuum system.
i found some 24/40 3000ml Erlenmeyer flasks and an adapter to turn it into a gas washer its definitely more expensive but if itll work its worth it. if i use 3 300ml flasks and add something to increase the retention times as well as a flow adaptor to adjust vacuum do you think this setup would work? is there still a use for the smaller gas washers i already have? id hate to send them back if i can still utilize them but it doesnt sound like i can

i found some 24/40 3000ml Erlenmeyer flasks and an adapter to turn it into a gas washer its definitely more expensive but if itll work its worth it. if i use 3 300ml flasks and add something to increase the retention times as well as a flow adaptor to adjust vacuum do you think this setup would work? is there still a use for the smaller gas washers i already have? id hate to send them back if i can still utilize them but it doesnt sound like i can
Read this whole thread:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...lt-hoods-and-fume-scrubbers.34601/post-374325

I've read it a few times and I learn something every time I do and some things I want to use and others id like to find my own way of constructing but I thought this was a forum for new people to ask and get help from experienced people not a library where you can only look at posts but God forbid you ask something already discussed maybe I should have just asked where I can find the answers I need instead of asking what the answers are. Don't sweat it I'm gonna go ahead and log out and go elsewhere clearly I'm too retarded to be here thanks for your time guys I'm sorry I didn't catch more information before I asked my questions.

I've read it a few times and I learn something every time I do and some things I want to use and others id like to find my own way of constructing but I thought this was a forum for new people to ask and get help from experienced people not a library where you can only look at posts but God forbid you ask something already discussed maybe I should have just asked where I can find the answers I need instead of asking what the answers are. Don't sweat it I'm gonna go ahead and log out and go elsewhere clearly I'm too retarded to be here thanks for your time guys I'm sorry I didn't catch more information before I asked my questions.
??

Our experience say that information you research yourself sits better and command a better understanding.
There are literally thousands of members and we simply do not have the time to spoon feed all.
That is why we recommend all to do their own research.
And every post made in here makes it harder to find what you want, so posting around the same subject in different threads makes it harder to find the nuggets.
So please keep the same subject in one thread.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."
- Eleanor Roosevelt

When we read (the forum and more) we have to not only see what was done right, but see the mistakes others have made. With out that we are doomed to repeat the same mistakes.

I found 5L Erlenmeyer flasks on Amazon, I got a case of 4 for $150. I used crushed glass for fire pits as my fill material. You could also break a large tempered glass window (patio door lite, ask a local window co for a scrap one) and achieve the same thing. I also added a layer of dollar store loofahs (plastic ones) in the middle to increase the dispersion/bubbling. I have now decided my first bottle will be a vintage 3 gallon water cooler bottle with filler and 12% peroxide. This is now $21 at home depot. There's no need for lab grade and peroxide should be cheap. Position 2/3 will be a 5L flask with a lye solution, bottle 4 is empty to allow for condensation and issues I was having with fluid reaching my pump. My pump is a cheap rotary vane from ebay. $50. Look at my setup in the fume hood thread and ask me if you have questions.

While crushed glass may work, not saying it will not, it takes up volume in the vessel. The volume of liquid is also pertinent because it is where the neutralizing chemicals are actually doing their thing. Bio balls, and all other tower packing materials, do not take up a lot of volume as they are mostly open space. In large scrubbers I have seen whiffle balls used.

As far as how much caustic, it is a pH reaction. So with clean water an ounce of caustic will shoot the pH up high easily, but the amount of buffer capacity that small volume of caustic provides is minimal. Unless you are using a pH controller you need to experiment with a starting quantity of caustic to use and note how much metal was dissolved before it is consumed. ( meaning red fumes are coming out the end ). I would start with 500 ml of 50% liquid caustic in a 5 liter flask.

With the cost of PVC these days I don’t know if you can build the 3 section scrubber PoA linked for less than the $150 @AuggieDog paid for 4 flasks. But it would give you capacity for expansion.

I guess you think that the people who contribute here are paid for what we post. This isn’t You Tube or some other site where the posters are paid for hits, we post to help others. But there is a limit to how often anyone can answer the same question. Which is why we have a library and post links.

You seem to be a bit hot headed when you don’t see what you want immediately. Maybe a rest and search for this information elsewhere will do you good. When you find another source as decent as the GRF let us know, I may join them because I have questions too!

You do not use any solids in these scrubbers.
Where did you find the information to do this?
Above Yggdrasil has already mentioned it but you only use filler material in the long tube type scrubber’s. The flask style doesn't use it. Please use more research before spending time and money building a scrubber system.

Edit: 4metals dealt with it better than I did.

The flask style doesn't use it.
I have used glassware called gas washing bottles which had a glass inverted screw insert in the liquid chamber. This caused bubbles to spiral upward increasing their time in the fluid. I cannot find these anymore and the one I had used (to convert HCN to NaCN for colorimetric analysis. That’s how old I am!). Anyway when using flasks the bioballs seem to increase the time the bubbles spend immersed. Remember retention time of those bubbles in the chemistry increases the efficiency of the scrubber.

I have never seen a scrubber flask before and didn’t even know they exist. Now I’m curious if something could be made up for the pvc tube type.

Latest posts

Back