gas turbine parts coated with pgm??

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaceifb

I have happened across some nuts off of a Siemens gas turbine exhaust manifold and they are said to be coated with a pgm I don't think it would be pt or PD as the operating temp is around 3000 °f and the bolts are inconel. Any ideas

They are usually silver plated.

The more valuable plating and brazing is located in the combustion/compression section.

As Lou said.

I was lucky enough to watch a friend of mine recovering over three ounces of gold from the braze per turbine blade assembly two months ago.

It was sickening :lol:

I don't think these are silver coated as they don't really have any of the characteristics and are different from silver seals in the com buster. I was actuallytthinking it might be a pt group metal I'll try to get a picture to post and try to test when I get home

Many times it is practically impossible to judge what a metal is by looking at it or its color, sometimes we can determine what a metal is with a magnet, density, its hardness, how it reacts to a grinding wheel, how soft it is, how it melts, how it reacts to a flame or blow pipe test, and how it reacts to acids or chemicals...

But, even these methods it can be hard to tell, the only way to be sure is by testing it.

If its silver try schwerters solution if you would get get a blood red reaction for silver, if not then you could file off some metal dissolve it as a chloride and test with stannous chloride.

Latest posts

Back