Getting Ag from AgNO3 using Cu powder

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The powdered copper you use must be very fine, do you know what the mesh size is?

I do not know why you add the HCl to the process vat to test for silver instead of adding a few drops of the process solution to a HCl solution out of the process vat. Apparently the presence of a small quantity of silver chloride is converted into silver metal when melting the silver.

What analytical method are you using to determine the .999+ purity. Have you ever had it assayed by ICP?

Any more video's would be appreciated, you have an interesting setup. I would especially enjoy a video of the silver nitrate HCl testing step.
[ P

4metals said:
The powdered copper you use must be very fine, do you know what the mesh size is?

I do not know why you add the HCl to the process vat to test for silver instead of adding a few drops of the process solution to a HCl solution out of the process vat. Apparently the presence of a small quantity of silver chloride is converted into silver metal when melting the silver.

What analytical method are you using to determine the .999+ purity. Have you ever had it assayed by ICP?

Any more video's would be appreciated, you have an interesting setup. I would especially enjoy a video of the silver nitrate HCl testing step.
[ P
I have not checked mesh size of copper powder but it is very fine
I had HCL to check how much Ag is still left for recovering
I am using Volhards analytical method to determine the .999+ purity and also Spectrophotometer
Video are not ready but as soon as they are ready I will surly post them
Hrushi

In my shop I Cemented some silver in a 4 inch jar and I have 2 blowers and I couldn't stand that smell.
I know that my system has faults but I think it was pulling that small amount of air
Here hrushi is doing the same but in a container that is about 100 times bigger and I didnt see any blowers anywhere
I appreciate the video but I say be careful Hrushi

golddie said:
In my shop I Cemented some silver in a 4 inch jar and I have 2 blowers and I couldn't stand that smell.
I know that my system has faults but I think it was pulling that small amount of air
Here hrushi is doing the same but in a container that is about 100 times bigger and I didnt see any blowers anywhere

Some people are more sensitive to this stuff than others this may be the case with you. If you have worked with it for years you get to the point you don't notice it.

Thanks for following up with this thread, the video's will be interesting. I still do not know what benefit you get from adding the HCl directly to the bath to test for silver, but apparently it is doing no harm.

4metals said:

Thanks for following up with this thread, the video's will be interesting. I still do not know what benefit you get from adding the HCl directly to the bath to test for silver, but apparently it is doing no harm.

True there is no harm in doing it in testube as there is no need to take out the sol and check
The purpose of adding HCl is to check how much silver is still present in sol and nothing else
As the amount of silver reduces the white spot after adding Hcl becomes less thinner Initially it is quite thick and as Ag is precipitated it goes on becoming thin and thin and when all Ag is recovered it will show black spots after adding HCl
But last stage of adding Cu powder is very important and we have to be very cautious while adding it. We have add it in small quantity and stir more.
Hrushi

golddie said:

try adding little of urea brown fumes wont come out and some kind of smell will come.
Brown fumes comes as free nitric is present and when we add Cu to the Sol reaction takes place and brown fumes are liberated
Hrushi

I have mixed in lye in my scrubber and it smells like pesticide and I dont like it and hrushi said he uses urea to kill the brown fumes and I am wondering if I can use urea in my scrubber and is what is urea is it a safe thing

hrushi
How much urea do you add
In what quantities do you add the urea

Also
we don't have to buy Cu powder we can use Cu powder which we can easily get from CuNO3 which is left with us
Lets say I have copper nitrate solution left over from refining silver how can I make it so that I will be able transform this into powder so it is of acceptable quality
If I just boil it than that wont work if I cement it with another metal like steel that wont work
It would be nice if you can tell me this
Thanks

Lets say I have copper nitrate solution left over from refining silver how can I make it so that I will be able transform this into powder so it is of acceptable quality
If I just boil it than that wont work if I cement it with another metal like steel that wont work
Can I cement this with steel and than wash it with hcl

golddie said:
Can I cement this with steel and than wash it with hcl

Better than steel is iron as it is cheap than steel.
I use iron strips to get Cu powder out of CuHNO3
Believe me it is very economical.
Hrushi

golddie
I have mixed in lye in my scrubber and it smells like pesticide and I dont like it and hrushi said he uses urea to kill the brown fumes and I am wondering if I can use urea in my scrubber and is what is urea is it a safe thing

hrushi
How much urea do you add
In what quantities do you add the urea
I think hrushi was referring to adding a little urea to the nitrate to neutralize the nitric to prevent the NOx from developing .
As for the use of urea in a scrubber to reduce NOx, I'm not sure but I would like to here some opinions on the use of urea in the scrub solution. Will it produce copious amounts of ammonia or would it just not work at all.
I understand that in a diesel engine's exhaust that uses urea to convert NOx works, because the urea is converted into ammonia, in the heat of the exhaust, in just the right amount .The ammonia then converts the NOx to less harmful stuff.
If it did work as a scrub solution, then DEF ( DIESEL EXHAUST FLUID) by the jug would be an option for some.
Golddie is your lye solution to concentrated .I was under the impression that the solution should only have to stay above neutral ph as in ph8 and that this is done with regular checking and additions of lye as necessary.

I like 4metals would have liked to learned more and seen more video. I find his methods both simplistic as well as functional for practicality purposes. I liked it because like them i rely on known methods and instinct to guide me more that fancy equipment and phd science.

It seems in his posting Hirushi told us what he did so I tried it. I dissolved clean copper, not copper recovered from cementing with scrap iron which has other base metals in it, but clean copper. Then I added enough nitric acid to digest the copper and added some extra just so the acid was completely consumed.

Then I added iron slab, not steel but iron, and what came down was nice finely divided copper metal. Wash it dry it and it is just like in Hirushi's video.

I did not follow up and use the copper powder to drop silver from spent silver electrolyte, instead I used it for PGM's in spent aqua regia.

The only thing I would do differently than Hirushi would be to test for completeness of the silver drop with HCl in a test tube rather than in the tank with the silver nitrate. I can imagine some of the people I've worked with dumping in too much HCl and having a white soupy mess and saying "What happened man, I just added a little!"

I found it interesting that when they added to much copper they added active silver nitrate to consume the extra copper which makes good sense. Like a two step washing procedure i guess you could say. Once the excess copper is consumed the excess silver nitrate can be wash free of the cemented powder. Since i run continuous batch processes for clients i always have silver hung up in the process some wheres. After i finish a drop and remove the copper slab i add some fresh nitric to the batch, chop it up, and let it settle. This consumes any excess copper that may be trapped in the powder. When i wash the powder the wash water is used to dilute the next incoming batch for refining at the beginning of the process so it continuously repeats over and over.

4metals said:
It seems in his posting Hirushi told us what he did so I tried it. I dissolved clean copper, not copper recovered from cementing with scrap iron which has other base metals in it, but clean copper. Then I added enough nitric acid to digest the copper and added some extra just so the acid was completely consumed.

Then I added iron slab, not steel but iron, and what came down was nice finely divided copper metal. Wash it dry it and it is just like in Hirushi's video.

I did not follow up and use the copper powder to drop silver from spent silver electrolyte, instead I used it for PGM's in spent aqua regia.

The only thing I would do differently than Hirushi would be to test for completeness of the silver drop with HCl in a test tube rather than in the tank with the silver nitrate. I can imagine some of the people I've worked with dumping in too much HCl and having a white soupy mess and saying "What happened man, I just added a little!"

The difference in the two should be the make up of their elements that are added.

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/ironsteel.html

Palladium said:
After i finish a drop and remove the copper slab i add some fresh nitric to the batch, chop it up, and let it settle. This consumes any excess copper that may be trapped in the powder. When i wash the powder the wash water is used to dilute the next incoming batch for refining at the beginning of the process so it continuously repeats over and over.
I've used the same technique to clean up cement silver. It only takes a tiny amount of nitric, agitation, and time. Any silver dissolved by excess nitric is recovered in the next batch.

I mentioned it in the Fuzz Button Interconnects, need some advice thread, but never saw any comments.

Dave

Latest posts

Back