Getting pins out of this connector

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of those "Cannon" type connectors require a specialized tool unique to the particular pin diameter they use. The tool is little more than a thin-walled steel tube embedded in a 1/2" x 4" anodized aluminum rod that fits pretty snugly over each pin and moves some teensy retaining tabs from the outside perimeter towards the inside. Lacking that tool, the pins can be amazing difficult to remove. Sometimes you can remove the outside casing, usually with a screw or two, and end up with a plastic header either in whole or in pieces, that the pins reside in. Then you can attack the plastic. It's inevitably very, very tough plastic, generally not prone to shattering. You will work for those pins, believe me. They are intensely designed NOT to come out on their own.

I use pin extractor to remove pins it is easier if you have the proper tool,

The cases are many times aluminum or zinc so I also save them in scrap pile,

if you do not have a pin extractor you can also use big hammer and or a vice you can break the case with the hammer or squeeze it in vise if it does not just come apart by unscrewing it, some break easy some need flattened one way then un-flatten and re-flatten back the opposite way, some of the plastic portions are hard and break easily some are a little more trouble if not brittle, the hammer works but sometimes things go flying around, if the vice is big like mine you can squeeze the snot out of them breaking or flattening them.

i use a hammer on individuals but i have processed them by the bucket full by baking them first. do not heat to the point of melting the aluminum.this makes the plastic and rubber brittle so when you break the shell, the whole thing falls apart.

Those Canon or Amp type connectors have been discussed in other threads here several times. I don't think you'll find any extractor will do much good for those pins since they appear to be embedded in a cast block of hard red rubber. They generally are each held by a locking ring but the rubber will be sticking to them too. If the center was hard plastic then an extractor tool may help. The portion on the right end looks like it may unscrew from the rest. Ultimately you'll need to saw one side of the main shell lengthwise and split it, or crush it with a vice or hammer as has been mentioned. At that point cutting the pins out of the rubber isn't so bad once you've done it a few times. I cut in-between a pair of pins then start peeling the rubber back and pull out pins as I come to them, going around in circles layer by layer. The tip about heating to make it brittle sounded interesting but I think it may be more useful on connectors with a plastic pin block. I'm not sure if it may just make the rubber stickier?

Macfixer01

butcher said:
I use pin extractor to remove pins it is easier if you have the proper tool,

The cases are many times aluminum or zinc so I also save them in scrap pile,

if you do not have a pin extractor you can also use big hammer and or a vice you can break the case with the hammer or squeeze it in vise if it does not just come apart by unscrewing it, some break easy some need flattened one way then un-flatten and re-flatten back the opposite way, some of the plastic portions are hard and break easily some are a little more trouble if not brittle, the hammer works but sometimes things go flying around, if the vice is big like mine you can squeeze the snot out of them breaking or flattening them.

I didn't know there was such a thing. :shock: What kind do you have? I will have to look at getting one of these.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZUoqO29RsQ[/youtube]

Idea!
Anyone have access to liquid nitrogen and a big stage-press that can slam down or,
a track hoe with the ditch compactor attachment.
The first few months I started collecting computers my entire work area was filled withempty steel cases. The guy doing the sewer on the road flattened them for me with the ditch compactor.(easier to stor and haul). made me think just now if a thousand connectors like that had been laying ther and were doused with liquid nitrogen they may have shattered like glass????? worth a try?
artart47

Now I had to picture that.... :roll:

Windows in house for two blocks knocked out by flying debris, concrete all chipped up, connector pieces being found in the oddest places over the next nine years....

Latest posts

Back