Gold bars

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a short while back I ran across a oxy-acetylene/propane torch and a local industrial surplus warehouse... torch with interchangeable tips, good hoses, both regulators, both blow-back arrestors, and an adapter for propane cylinders...best $35 I ever spent. I can now melt 2oz batches in about 1 min! :)

if there is any kind of surplus store near you, it might be worth checking out!

mls26cwru said:
a short while back I ran across a oxy-acetylene/propane torch and a local industrial surplus warehouse... torch with interchangeable tips, good hoses, both regulators, both blow-back arrestors, and an adapter for propane cylinders...best $35 I ever spent. I can now melt 2oz batches in about 1 min! :)

I envy you!

But, i think my luck has just changed.
Earlier i got a message from a guy replying to my craigslist advert, interested in my "mad max/zombie apocalypse" subaru legacy (i got it in a trade...never,*ever* would my wife let me waste money on something like it -although we both love it now lol)

He is wanting to trade me his victor torch with 3 cutting tips, brazing tip, rose bud, 2 goggles, striker, cart, and two big bottles (for the oxy and acetylene)... That plus $3,500 for this (see pic of ridiculous car)

I am going to call it a win....unless the zombie apocalypse does happen...then... I lose

I was going to buy one a few months back, but my father-in-law told me "don't spend 200 bucks on one! I have one i can get you, or theres 1,000 places in the city you could buy one for $100 bucks! All day, everyday!"... After going to all these places, and striking out at every..single...one... I asked him if he still had his...he said no.

Then i asked him where this magical land of 100 dollar torches is...and he said hed get it... Next time i saw him -"ohhh, i can't believe how expensive those things are now!" :lol: ...ahh, the joys of the "in-laws"

You got a great deal!

Topher

Attachments

• 0520161402.jpg
    0520161402.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 805
  • 0520161402b.jpg
    0520161402b.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 805
Topher_osAUrus said:
mls26cwru said:

I envy you!

But, i think my luck has just changed.
Earlier i got a message from a guy replying to my craigslist advert, interested in my "mad max/zombie apocalypse" subaru legacy (i got it in a trade...never,*ever* would my wife let me waste money on something like it -although we both love it now lol)

He is wanting to trade me his victor torch with 3 cutting tips, brazing tip, rose bud, 2 goggles, striker, cart, and two big bottles (for the oxy and acetylene)... That plus $3,500 for this (see pic of ridiculous car)

I am going to call it a win....unless the zombie apocalypse does happen...then... I lose

I was going to buy one a few months back, but my father-in-law told me "don't spend 200 bucks on one! I have one i can get you, or theres 1,000 places in the city you could buy one for $100 bucks! All day, everyday!"... After going to all these places, and striking out at every..single...one... I asked him if he still had his...he said no.

Then i asked him where this magical land of 100 dollar torches is...and he said hed get it... Next time i saw him -"ohhh, i can't believe how expensive those things are now!" :lol: ...ahh, the joys of the "in-laws"

You got a great deal!

Topher

You need to learn how to read the date code on the tanks before you do the trade so you are not buying tanks that you can't turn in to refill.

Thank you Barren.

My father told me the same thing. That the bottles have a 10 year period (correct?). And that there is a fee associated with them.

I will be doing my due diligence of studying prior to pulling the trigger on the deal. As i want to make sure it has good regulators, check valves, good hoses, etc..

I dont want to give away that beauty for nothin'!

-toph

A reason some folks can melt okay with MAPP and others cannot may be due to the elevation one is at. Living at 6700 feet above mean sea level shorted me the oxygen I needed to quickly melt. However, I was able to eventually melt gold, copper or silver using a propane furnace. It just required a long time to melt relatively small amounts.

You could try insulating the crucible where you melt. Cover it with something that cannot melt, an old crucible perhaps, clay pots or diy refractory hood. Make sure you can take out the crucible easily so when you are about to pour you wont have to move the covers.

I would go for a furnace instead of acetylene/oxy. Although I have an oxy/acetylene set myself, I'd give my money back for a gas fired furnace. For me having a furnace is just better for most refining jobs. Lesser losses due to flue.

You guys have given me alot to think about.

Elevation is 1,299 feet above sea level at my house, so i dont think that would be it. But, when i directed some forced air at it, it did help.

I have tried insulating my crucible with rockwool, and it helped a bit.

I want a furnace, badly...i have most of the needed materials make one, just need to collect a few more things. I do need a torch though, for melting, and cutting up some metal to make other things i need for my workspace (yes, metal is a horrible idea for anything in the lab, but, my garage side is my workspace (to me)..where i can fix broken things and make money to pursue my hobby. After the torch, i will get a tig welder-then it's on!

Topher_osAUrus said:
You guys have given me alot to think about.

Elevation is 1,299 feet above sea level at my house, so i dont think that would be it. But, when i directed some forced air at it, it did help.

I have tried insulating my crucible with rockwool, and it helped a bit.

I want a furnace, badly...i have most of the needed materials make one, just need to collect a few more things. I do need a torch though, for melting, and cutting up some metal to make other things i need for my workspace (yes, metal is a horrible idea for anything in the lab, but, my garage side is my workspace (to me)..where i can fix broken things and make money to pursue my hobby. After the torch, i will get a tig welder-then it's on!

I'm going to hit the nail on the head here.

If you would put the time and effort into melting the gold button you have with your crucible setting on the rock wool and then letting it cool and do this over and over with your MAPP gas torch as you do trying to make post and comments on members problems you would have your melting problems solved. You wouldn't be having to try and find an oxy/acet torch that you don't need, or a furnace that that you probably don't need at this time in your endevour of learning to work with PM's.

Practice is all you need to learn how you are supposed to accomplish this effort, not spending time on finding equipment that uses more energy than you need to for accomplishing your project.

Ouch.

But, yes, nail hit.

Edit: didnt nesn to hit submit.

But, I am only able to go outside when i have the luxury of someone to watch my children.

Its much easier to get on my phone and read with two young boys at my side as opposed to going outside and trying to refine or melt.

But, i hear you.

Loud and clear

Topher_osAUrus said:
Ouch.

But, yes, nail hit.

Edit: didnt nesn to hit submit.

But, I am only able to go outside when i have the luxury of someone to watch my children.

Its much easier to get on my phone and read with two young boys at my side as opposed to going outside and trying to refine or melt.

But, i hear you.

Loud and clear

So then there is not a 10-15 minute span that you can go outside?

10 to 15 minutes of time for an experiment is not good. Knowing that you will leave your children somewhere without anyone watching them. If an accident occurs two things would come to your mind. Your children's safety and what you need to do in order to solve the current problem. An experiment should be done when you are free from any other worries, not having to think of what could be going on your other side of responsibility.

autumnwillow said:
10 to 15 minutes of time for an experiment is not good. Knowing that you will leave your children somewhere without anyone watching them. If an accident occurs two things would come to your mind. Your children's safety and what you need to do in order to solve the current problem. An experiment should be done when you are free from any other worries, not having to think of what could be going on your other side of responsibility.

It's not an experiment, it is a training exercise in getting familiar and confident with melting gold. I have a son as well and I understand his position.

Barren.

Yes, sometimes i can get away for 15 minutes or more, when my boys are asleep -as i have a baby monitor in my workspace.

But, they are by my side 99 percent of my time. As my wife works a great job with ridiculous hours, so this is a hobby for me for now. My boys are 3 and (almost)1, and very curious.. So even if we go out to play in the yard, they want to open the gate and see whats going on at "daddys work space"

Theres usually one day every other week where i get "me time" and thats when i take and use the information gathered here on the forum, to do my experiments and tried and true methods.

I wish i got my time more often, but, id rather be there for my kids than to hand them over to some random babysitter (lot of amber alerts from around here recently-sadly..) And.. My family all lives hours away from me

-me

Topher_osAUrus said:
Barren.

Yes, sometimes i can get away for 15 minutes or more, when my boys are asleep -as i have a baby monitor in my workspace.

But, they are by my side 99 percent of my time. As my wife works a great job with ridiculous hours, so this is a hobby for me for now. My boys are 3 and (almost)1, and very curious.. So even if we go out to play in the yard, they want to open the gate and see whats going on at "daddys work space"

Theres usually one day every other week where i get "me time" and thats when i take and use the information gathered here on the forum, to do my experiments and tried and true methods.

I wish i got my time more often, but, id rather be there for my kids than to hand them over to some random babysitter (lot of amber alerts from around here recently-sadly..) And.. My family all lives hours away from me

-me

I understand, family always comes first. And I do understand where you are coming from. I wish you all of the success in this.

Thank you Barren, I appreciate the sentiment.
And agree with you completely, family should always come first.
Afterall, they are who i am doing this for in the end.
When i die will i leave them an empire? -no, probably not.

But, over years of growing and educating myself, and them. Should they choose to use the knowledge imparted on them, through me, through the forum, maybe they could.

I just like that this is a hobby where i have met good people, gained great insight and wisdom, and have put a few bucks in my pocket too.

Do i talk to much? Thats a resounding, unquestionable, yes.
But, theres always a few ways to better ourselves right?

-topher

Thank you. That is very interesting.
I had only seen that configuration of vertical vacuum chamber before used in ceramic furnaces.
all the ones I am familiar with use a much more convoluted pressure sealed door.
Who do I know that can machine 300-400mm steel cylinder/That would take a good size lathe.
Use a hand operated hydraulics or pure mechanical instead of a fancy electrically operated system to seal.
The ancillary systems once you brake them down are quite well priced stand alone unit's.
Yet an other thing to tack onto my five year plan.LOL

Back