Gold cake

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renaldas

This is what I get after several minutes I added SMB to gold solution in AR. Solution was not very clean, it was a solution of metals, precipitated on copper wire, dissolved in AR.

Why such a multilayered cake?

Gold-cake.jpg

This is because of all the impurities in your solution. I would do another digestion in AR after siphoning and washing this gold well. I bet your second digestion will yeild a beautiful yellow to orange red color chloride and the drop will be more of a sponge type accumulation. BTW why did you precipitate on copper and then put in AR? Good job by the way!

goldenchild said:
This is because of all the impurities in your solution. I would do another digestion in AR after siphoning and washing this gold well. I bet your second digestion will yeild a beautiful yellow to orange red color chloride and the drop will be more of a sponge type accumulation. BTW why did you precipitate on copper and then put in AR? Good job by the way!

My first solution was very dirty, so I tried to precipitate all PM with copper (or copper chloride). After this I put the precipitate in AR. I dont know why I do it such way :)
BTW, after I rinsed this "gold cake" and boiled it in nitric, it become very nice light brown. Seems to be quite pure, I think.

Try soaking a small amount of the gold in ammonium hydroxide, if there's any silver in there it will dissolve, also copper will turn the solution blue.

Just another step to clean it up a little.

4metals said:
Try soaking a small amount of the gold in ammonium hydroxide, if there's any silver in there it will dissolve, also copper will turn the solution blue.

Just another step to clean it up a little.

Silver dissolve in NH4OH? Or you talk about AgCl?

Latest posts

Back