Gold content of Pentium Pros

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyline27

Does anyone have a ballpark figure for gold content in Pentium Pros?
Is there a list of yields for other cpu's in the forum?

Hello Skyline,
Making a list with all the CPUs would take too long.
But if someone makes a list with common CPUs, I think everyone would be interested.

Here is what I know:
486 CPUs has 3$ worth of gold
Pentiums Pro has 7$ worth of gold.

I measured about .33 grams of gold per Pentium Pro including the fingers, the heat sink, and circuitry under the cover plate. Supposedly there is more if the ceramic is pulverized. The Pros also contain some silver. However, I'm not much of a skilled refiner. Judging by the price they bring on Flee-Bay, others are getting a better return.
I figured around 15-20 AMD ceramics to make a gram. It takes an awful lot of PII processors to make a gram.

Noxx said:
Hello Skyline,
Making a list with all the CPUs would take too long.
But if someone makes a list with common CPUs, I think everyone would be interested.

Here is what I know:
486 CPUs has 3$ worth of gold
Pentiums Pro has 7$ worth of gold.

Hi Sir!

very interesting one sir, i have here approximately 30kgs, i dont know the easy way to process it, the only process i know is for goldfingers.

is this based on per piece or per kilogram? how do you get the goldwire inside?

thank you very much Sir!

is your calculation based on per piece or per kilogram? how do you get the goldwire inside? Each one / per unit.
To get to the wire you have to crush the chips. They need to be pretty fine to allow the acid to penetrate. Some people just throw them in acid and allow them to eat the pins and what wire it can out. Then rinse them and crush them for the rest that might be left.

What is the best way of crushing ? well the jury is kind of still out on that one.
Steve has some good info on his site i think about it.

SBrown said:
I know this is an old post, and yeah, I'm bumping it but only because I just completed a run of Pentium Pro's.
I won't be too hard on you,because I understand that you are pretty new,but we have seveal hundred posts that contain "pentium pro".I believe this thread was the first one we ever had concerning them.
SBrown said:
According to Intel, there is suppose to be .9 grams of gold per Pentium Pro.
Sounds more like,you have been looking at a certain list of yields.If this is true,you need to throw that away.
SBrown said:
So out of the 28 CPU's I was able to get .796 grams out of each.
I have processed THOUSANDS of pentium pros and have never had a yield even close to this,and yes that includes the gold in the substrate.I have a mill,and sodium thiosulfate,so I doubt very highly that there was any gold left behind.
SBrown said:
(yeah, I realize you never can reclaim ALL the gold)
Yes,you most certainly can.

SBrown said:
...According to Intel, there is suppose to be .9 grams of gold per Pentium Pro. Just so we are straight on which Pentium Pro I am talking about, these are the ones with the large gold cap on top, not the ones that are black without the gold cover.

Please provide a current reference to this documentation from Intel as I have not been able to locate it on their website.

Steve

Hello all , how are tricks?
I hope all is well!
lazersteve said:
SBrown said:
...According to Intel, there is suppose to be .9 grams of gold per Pentium Pro.
Please provide a current reference to this documentation from Intel as I have not been able to locate it on their website.
Steve
I've also tried to find this information , but to no avail.
I suspect that many others have also tried to find this seemingly detailed info , but have failed.
If this is genuine information from Intel , themselves , please provide a link to verify it chief!
All the best for now , and kind regards ,
Chris :mrgreen:

SBrown said:
and hollow titanium balls just over an inch.
What, no marshmallows?
What do you expect a titanium ball to do that isn't hollow, let alone one that is? Do you not understand that a ball mill is akin to a hammer and anvil, and that the weight of the ball determines the work it will do?
(Said another way, lose the titanium balls, and get something hard and heavy. Steel balls come to mind.)

Harold

Couple of things comes to my mind after reading your post.

Why are you mixing ferrous sulfate and sodium metabisulfite that makes no sense to me?
I believe from reading your process you are also recovering the copper or other base metals in your first buttons, what color is the aqua regia in the second refining?

Consider removing base metals.

"Pentium Pro's used 22k gold"
I would think it is pure gold they use.

"SMB will only react if there is free nitric acid available is my understanding, so when you no longer get the brown rusty NOx off gas, I feel that there is still AU in solution that didn't drop because the SMB was burning Nitric Acid. "

My understanding is sodium metabisulfite works if there is NO free nitric acid in solution, it will NOT work to precipitate gold as long as there is free nitric in solution.
And if you do have free nitric in solution you will see the Brown NOx fumes you describe when adding sodium metabisulfite, as nitric uses up the SMB NOx fumes escape, the SMB will not work until you overcome the free nitric, so your taking a chance of making more salts from the excess SMB your adding to solution, these salts from the sodium nitrate you used may form more salts of base metals, added to the first refined gold.

It is my understand stannous chloride is used to test for gold, not what fumes are emitted from adding SMB to solutions, or what I feel as "SMB burns acid".

Also adding soda ash to your melt you are reducing base metals that may normally oxidize in the melt, to elemental metals mixed in with your gold reduced metals.

"I thought that the HCL after being melted, may be able to force the other base metals into HCL."

HCl after the melt (with gold in this metal form) will not "force out base metals from the button"

I am not trying to be critical, but I think you need to understand a few more things.

SBrown,

I agree that your button is most certainly very contaminated. Here are my reasons:

1. You dissolved everything with AR and stated various dark colors of 'mud' were collected and combined. These muds can contain copper, tungsten, gold, silver, and other miscellaneous compounds. These compounds do not rinse out with water.

2. You make no mention of the bright yellow powder that forms when the tungsten heat spreader is being attacked. The formation of this compound is a tell tale sign that all of the copper has been removed from the heat spreader. If copper remains in the heat spreader you will have gold cemented on that copper within the tungsten substrate.

3. You did not ice your AR after dissolving the gold. Icing helps remove traces of silver and other insoluble chlorides that can remain after dissolution.

4. You used several precipitants that are not 100% selective for gold so copper, at a minimum, is a definite contaminate.

5. You did not do a second refining before melting. I find it odd that you meticulously went through all of the initial steps to recover your gold, but did not 'finish the job' by refining it a second time when you had the powders at your fingertips. As Butcher suggested, soaking a button in HCl will not help the purity of a button to any noticeable degree.

For these reasons I feel you may report back and find that your yields of refined gold are not what you expected.

I feel that one of the best first steps in refining any ceramic cpu that has a gold plated top is to treat the cpu in 35% nitric acid until the heat spreader has decayed to a yellow powder and the cpu die falls out or comes loose. This yellow powder is a tungsten compound that is highly soluble in 50%+ sodium hydroxide solution.

Once the tungsten and base metals are removed collect the foils and process with AR.

Please take my comments in the spirit that I offer them: as helpful insight to where your numbers may be off.

I look forward to reading the scribd document on Intel cpus when you find it.

Steve

Hey all. Not disputing anything here but just adding a comment. RE: yield quoted by sbrown. You state that an intel source quoted .9 g of 22k gold. Since 22k is 91.7% gold your .9g is really .825 g.

why does this thred go from:

November 8th, 2007, 2:48 pm
to
March 26th, 2012, 8:00 am

that 5 years from one post to the next ???

Latest posts

Back