Electronic boards from cellphone and computer

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anyone try to melt (not smelt) the crushed, pyrolyzed pcbs in copper collector?
I would try this if i had furnace already... But unfortunately i havent built it yet.

My theory is that all the junk will flow on top of copper, so if you stir feed well while submerged in molten copper, the values should absorb into molten copper. And after the process one could easily remove fiberglass and junk like steel.

The slag and junk could then be gravity concentrated and fire assayed for finding out efficiency, and losses.

The reason why i am thinking about melting with copper is that i dont like idea of adding more material (flux) which might hold values if done incorrectly, also its kinda hard to source them low scale.

I understand its just wishful thinking... And smelting is done for a reason....
But any input would be appreciated.

My main concern is that copper would adhere to fiberglass, and crushed steel case components not melting properly in the copper melt.

Did anyone try to melt (not smelt) the crushed, pyrolyzed pcbs in copper collector?
I would try this if i had furnace already... But unfortunately i havent built it yet.

My theory is that all the junk will flow on top of copper, so if you stir feed well while submerged in molten copper, the values should absorb into molten copper. And after the process one could easily remove fiberglass and junk like steel.

The slag and junk could then be gravity concentrated and fire assayed for finding out efficiency, and losses.

The reason why i am thinking about melting with copper is that i dont like idea of adding more material (flux) which might hold values if done incorrectly, also its kinda hard to source them low scale.

I understand its just wishful thinking... And smelting is done for a reason....
But any input would be appreciated.

My main concern is that copper would adhere to fiberglass, and crushed steel case components not melting properly in the copper melt.
Hi,

I have tried some PCB pyrolizing to recover the copper, my choice of material was RAM sticks after removing the IC and the fingers.

The result was as follows:
1) Pyrolizing was a nightmare allthough I have used a pressure coocker (full stainless steel with lid and pressure valve) and the exiting gases were lit on fire and burned (wasn`t under pressure just like a lighter when lit) and still the smell was unbearable even outside with a hood over the coocker to evacuate false gases.
2) PCBs were fully pyrolized to the point that all fiberglass was burnt and the copper traces could be removed easy.

The problem was the blending. Why? I was thinking that if i use a power blender (stainless steel bowl and very sharp blades) i can make a granulate separating afterwards with gravity. but the blender and the fine copper traces have clogged the blades ( a big failure) , allthough it has separated the traces from the fiberglass I could`nt remove all of the fiberglass because the traces have made a mesh like structure and some fiberglass was trapped inside.

I have abandoned for the moment this procedure until I figure out how to scale it down and up..

I was hoping a clean granulation (chopped in very small pieces) but instead i have got a mesh.

I didn`t burn PCB`s since, And I think I will rethink this strategy because it creates toxic gases to which I don`t want to expose myself.

Not quite the answer to your idea, but i hope you find some helpful information inside.

Be safe,

Pete

Hi,

I have tried some PCB pyrolizing to recover the copper, my choice of material was RAM sticks after removing the IC and the fingers.

The result was as follows:
1) Pyrolizing was a nightmare allthough I have used a pressure coocker (full stainless steel with lid and pressure valve) and the exiting gases were lit on fire and burned (wasn`t under pressure just like a lighter when lit) and still the smell was unbearable even outside with a hood over the coocker to evacuate false gases.
2) PCBs were fully pyrolized to the point that all fiberglass was burnt and the copper traces could be removed easy.

The problem was the blending. Why? I was thinking that if i use a power blender (stainless steel bowl and very sharp blades) i can make a granulate separating afterwards with gravity. but the blender and the fine copper traces have clogged the blades ( a big failure) , allthough it has separated the traces from the fiberglass I could`nt remove all of the fiberglass because the traces have made a mesh like structure and some fiberglass was trapped inside.

I have abandoned for the moment this procedure until I figure out how to scale it down and up..

I was hoping a clean granulation (chopped in very small pieces) but instead i have got a mesh.

I didn`t burn PCB`s since, And I think I will rethink this strategy because it creates toxic gases to which I don`t want to expose myself.

Not quite the answer to your idea, but i hope you find some helpful information inside.

Be safe,

Pete
You are not supposed to do this under pressure.
Any tight container withba pipe feeding into the flame heating it will do.
Better let the gases run through a water trap or two and then into the flames.

Latest posts

Back