gold cyanide

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meng2k7

hi

what is the best testing solution can be use to test gold cyanide plating solution?

i have a gallon of gold cyanide, this was never been used for plating, i put some zinc dust on it and started to fizzed, filtered,refined.

the question is;

1. did i recovered all the gold out of it (cyanide solution)?

2. what is the ideal testing solution?

3. how?

some said, the best way to recover it is to evaporate into salts and then cuppel it.

toxic gases and dangers will occur during the process so i won't do that. :oops:

anyone can help me?

thank you very much.

meng

Meng I'd be tempted to heat the solution to around 60 degrees add a liitle lye and then add some more zinc dust say 30 grams stir well and allow to cool, filter and wash the recovered powders and rinse with hydrochloric in a hood. If you get nothing you probably have all the gold, I'm not sure if there is a way other than assaying the solution to determine you have recovered it all but the above procedure should confirm it either way.
Hope this helps.

nickvc said:
Meng I'd be tempted to heat the solution to around 60 degrees add a liitle lye and then add some more zinc dust say 30 grams stir well and allow to cool, filter and wash the recovered powders and rinse with hydrochloric in a hood. If you get nothing you probably have all the gold, I'm not sure if there is a way other than assaying the solution to determine you have recovered it all but the above procedure should confirm it either way.
Hope this helps.

hi Nickvc

good idea! tomorrow i'll do some testings, is the temperature of the cyanide solution is always be considered? what if i'm doing testings in some plating plants, and it involves hundreds of gallons of cyanide solutions?

do we have an instant testings like we do on pregnant AR,HCL/CL,etc...?

thanks for the inputs Nickvc, i appreciate it. :)

meng

I've been dealing with gold plating solutions most of my life and know of no simple spot test. I could tell you several methods but they all involve the addition of acid to a small sample and, therefore, you MUST do them under a fume hood to avoid breathing the EXTREMELY toxic hydrogen cyanide gas produced. Most plating facilities will have a lab and fume hood they might let you work in or, if you have your own fume hood, you can label everything, pull samples and check them out when you get home.

goldsilverpro said:
I've been dealing with gold plating solutions most of my life and know of no simple spot test. I could tell you several methods but they all involve the addition of acid to a small sample and, therefore, you MUST do them under a fume hood to avoid breathing the EXTREMELY toxic hydrogen cyanide gas produced. Most plating facilities will have a lab and fume hood they might let you work in or, if you have your own fume hood, you can label everything, pull samples and check them out when you get home.

hi GSP,

im so excited to hear that from you, don't worry about the safety, i have a complete equipments, safety gears and chemical MSDS in my work area. 8)

my work area is far from houses, i'm the only one working there, no pets allowed.:)

thank you very much GSP.

meng

Meng,

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner. It will take awhile to write it up and I have been very busy.

I will say that, if I were going in the business of buying gold solutions, I would find an old used AA (atomic absorption spectrophotometer) in working condition with a gold lamp.

goldsilverpro said:
Meng,

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner. It will take awhile to write it up and I have been very busy.

I will say that, if I were going in the business of buying gold solutions, I would find an old used AA (atomic absorption spectrophotometer) in working condition with a gold lamp.

it's ok GSP, i will wait for you. :)

and about the AAS, well its a very good investment for me but as for now im in the state learning,
definitely, i can't afford to buy those machines for now. :oops:

a very precious tips coming from many great peoples here in this forum will be the start. :|

thank you very much.

meng

Latest posts

Back