gold filled processing video

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood4lif

i just finished viewing steves video on processing gold filled, a excellent video for showing the basic process given. but i was wondering why there wasnt any mention of how to deal with the problems that tin can give you when it sometimes finds its way in with refining gold filled.
showing a simple example of how to deal with tin and other common problems that also come with refining gold filled would be a great compliment to the already very imformative video.
also i noticed no there is no second incineration prior to hcl+cl dissolution. as harold always suggest.
once again i think it is a great video but these are just the questions i have to the problems i come across with refining gold filled

wood4lif said:
i just finished viewing steves video on processing gold filled, a excellent video for showing the basic process given. but i was wondering why there wasnt any mention of how to deal with the problems that tin can give you when it sometimes finds its way in with refining gold filled.
showing a simple example of how to deal with tin and other common problems that also come with refining gold filled would be a great compliment to the already very imformative video.
also i noticed no there is no second incineration prior to hcl+cl dissolution. as harold always suggest.
once again i think it is a great video but these are just the questions i have to the problems i come across with refining gold filled

Handling the gold filled jewelry and knowledge of items that usually contain tin or lead are your first lines of defense. For instance I have yet to find gold filled bangles that didn't contain lead. Lead is used in them to solder certain parts of the bangle. I simply disassemble the bangle hold the pieces with a pair of pliers and heat with a torch. When the lead becomes molten (doesn’t take much) I shake it into a wok I use for incineration. The lead comes out rather easily. Be very careful doing this as the lead will literally splatter like water.

As for tin, you can give your scrap a nice boil in HCL. Then simply decant and rinse before moving onto the nitric. DO NOT use this HCL for anything having to do with your gold. You could however save it to lower your Ph when you’re ready to drop the copper out of your waste solutions.

thank you golden child but doesnt the tin require oxidation through incineration first in order for the Hcl to be effective in removing the tin

There was a post concerning tin and the potential for coloidial gold problems in the last 3 or 4 months....I did a search but have not been able to spot the thread. Someone had noticed coloidial gold in a tub of evaporated waste I believe and provided a good process to recover same.

Texan

goldenchild,

You're incinerating with a wok?!

I did a forum search on 'wok', and found nothing, so you appear to be doing something very original.

Is there any information you would care to share about wok incineration?

Cheers,

Mike

goldenchild,

Most cool!

It looks to me like you've got at least a pound of chips in your wok-----------how long does it take to ash
them with your torch, and are you using propane?

And, if you remember, there was a hit rock song about a girl named Woksann.......

Cheers,

Mike

Its actually a few pounds of gold filled watchband caps incinerated with a mapp gas torch. I think trying an open incineration on chips would be a bit wokward.

goldenchild,

Well, so much for my eyesight, which isn't good, but I didn't think it was that bad.

Amazing.

It's too late to go jogging to shake off the shock of public proof of my optical recognition limitations,
so I guess I'll just wok it off...........

Cheers,

Mike

Here are some pics of lead being used in bangles. The first pic shows the lead being used as part of the locking mechanism. Its actaully a solid piece of lead. The last picture shows another piece of the mechanism with a small amount of lead. Even a small amount of lead can be a big pain when digesting your scrap. A small amount of lead here and there adds up to a bunch. Remove lead with prejudice.

2012-10-24_14-22-55_269.jpg

2012-10-24_14-23-03_723.jpg

2012-10-24_14-23-23_402.jpg

I have dissolved lead several times using quite hot, 1/7, nitric/water. Works well it there isn't any tin in it. Stronger nitric will tend to form lead nitrate crystals on the surface and block the action. I also seem to remember that hot concentrated HCl will dissolve lead.

goldsilverpro said:
I have dissolved lead several times using quite hot, 1/7, nitric/water. Works well it there isn't any tin in it. Stronger nitric will tend to form lead nitrate crystals on the surface and block the action. I also seem to remember that hot concentrated HCl will dissolve lead.

True. The HCL bath can get rid of the tin and lead in one shot but it's still a good idea to get as much out mechanically as possible. So a very dilute nitric will get rid of the lead?

Latest posts

Back