GOLD FILLED

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started the nitric in a crock pot and when I added the metal ALL HELL broke loose!!!!!hahahaha big gold colored flakes were boiling over everywhere luckily i did it outside. actually i hope that was gold flakes coz if so im a very happy man. But in reality there can't be that much gold from them,also my acid quit boiling and i can see the bracletts in there . the color of the acid turned a beautiful torquoise color.what do i need to do other than find another HOBBY!!!!!!!!!

Lol you're lucky... Me too yesterday my nitric acid eated my plastic bottle and I lost it all. Luckily, I did it outside.

What are the gold colored flakes my acid test kit wouldn't eat it the 14k did but the 10k didn't. The 14k ate it but turned black HMMMMMM sounds like gold but it couldn.t be I only pay 20.00 a lb for it

I ended up with the jewelry NOT dissolving and about 2" of green white gooooo at the bottom of my crock pot. Ill try again tomorrow. This time I won't put as much jewelry in the pot!!!!! AND TRY GOING SLOWER.aLL IN ALL ANOTHER GOOD DAY AT THE office.
vAN

You ended up with an insoluble salt right ?
It is cause mainly by too much silver in the solution. If you tried dissolving jewelry that contains silver, It may hide you gold and you won't be able to precipitate it all.

I don't know what it is: white green goooo. The jewelry never dissolved so I can't imagine there could be that much silver in there. Might be anyway will try tomorrow. New mixture. Its so damn cold here could be the reason,my sulfuric didn't dissolve the sodium nitrte so I dissolved it in water, then added it to the mix thats when the poop hit the fan boil over opps. Then I added more water and sulfuric and it did boil and fizz for about an hour then quit AND SO DID I!!!!!!!
Van

I was boiling in nitric acid. but not much boiling going on at one point it was fizzing pretty good then quit. NOW I just went back out to shut the lights off checked the acid to see if it was some kind of silver and the white green goooo was GONE!!!!! What the .... is going on what should I do next ? I think Ill boil the acid till evaporated then make a new batch and start over whata ya think?

Because it quit fizzing that's why I quit. So it must have run out of kick. It didn't reduce the jewelry either.

I did and tried to follow it to a tee, but had a break down somewhere. This is not something Ill learn in one day or by just reading. DOING it will be the best and unfortunately I haven't done enough so Ill have to keep banging away. Not to be proud but I'm a quick study when the bebe finely rolls in the hole! Thats why I read almost every post, but I think the main reason things went screwy its so damn cold. My acid formed crystals overnight and so then I just added and added till it fizzed duh I should start over and go slower. Thanks for your concerns everyone! DON'T GIVE UP ON ME YET!!!!!!!
Van
ps keep giving me that valued info.

Todd doesn't live there anymore and don't know where he moved his biz! will keep looking. Goota be a way for you canucks to have as much fun as Im having.hahahaha
hope that's not a derogatory term up there!!!!! seeing how Im a big AV'S FAN!!!!!!

VAN said:
My acid formed crystals overnight and so then I just added and added till it fizzed duh I should start over and go slower.

You're experiencing what happens when you try to work without the aid of supplemental heat. Chemical reactions always work faster with temperature, plus you get much better use from the acids involved.

If you're trying to dissolve base metals without heating the solutions, it will be a long, hard process. It will work, just not as fast, and certainly not as well. The crystals you spoke of will go back into solution upon heating and adding a little water. It's normal for them to grow from saturated solutions as they cool.

I realize I've harped on things quite a bit, but the things I have to say are exactly the things you're going to have to come to terms with if you intend to refine, or extract, precious metals.

I started out in a garage, working under a window with a fan pushing fumes outside. It was better than nothing, but not by much. You simply must have a place to handle acids safely, or consider your hobby one that is restricted to the warm months alone. You can keep it relatively simple, but it's almost impossible to work without a hood of sorts, and a heat source to assist in the reactions. It may look overwhelming at first, but you build the needed things one at a time-----and let the profits from refining pay the bill. Worked for me.

Harold

well enough of this cold weather reclaiming Im going back in the house and drink lemonade till spring thats about JUNE here that gives me 5 months to play golf.fish and reclaim gold I NEED TO MOVE!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back