Gold fingers turning dark during HCl solder removal...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am doing my first Au refine from gold fingers. I haven't gotten far and I'm already confused... I have 250g of fingers in 730ml of 10% HCl. I boiled for about 20 minutes and the small amounts of solder that were present dissolved but some of the fingers turned a dark grey color. Others have changed color a little. I have attached a before and after picture of one of the pieces. What would cause this?

Also, on a related note, can someone point me to a tutorial thread here for this process? I had planned to use HCl to remove the solder, nitric to liberate the foils and then aqua regia to dissolve them, sulfamic acid denox and SMB precipitation.

Thank you!
Eric

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

4.jpg

I am doing my first Au refine from gold fingers. I haven't gotten far and I'm already confused... I have 250g of fingers in 730ml of 10% HCl. I boiled for about 20 minutes and the small amounts of solder that were present dissolved but some of the fingers turned a dark grey color. Others have changed color a little. I have attached a before and after picture of one of the pieces. What would cause this?

Also, on a related note, can someone point me to a tutorial thread here for this process? I had planned to use HCl to remove the solder, nitric to liberate the foils and then aqua regia to dissolve them, sulfamic acid denox and SMB precipitation.

Thank you!
Eric

View attachment 65210View attachment 65211View attachment 65212

View attachment 65213
The recommended way is to use Cupric Chloride (aka AP) to release the foils.
And there is no need to use AR to dissolve it, just HCl /bleach , HCl/Peroxide or HCl/pool Chlorine.
The greying might be Tin cementing out again.

Latest posts

Back