Gold foils are not dissolving in HCl +bleach

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I know, but something has changed for the OP.
I prefer TCCA or Peroxide too, actually never used bleach.
I don’t like the idea of neutralising my acid.
Sorry for butting into someone elses thread but i was wondering... Do you use HCL and 3% peroxide to dissolve gold regularly and not Aqua Regia? Is there a benefit to this?

Do you think dipping plated gold or gold filled material in it would strip the gold off the material?

Thanks everyone. Especially Yggdrasil, for he was the one that suspected the source of my sodium hypochlorite. Also that older bleach I had showed much less reaction and less fumes. So when I was outside mixing this it hit pretty hard. Which surprised me being outside and kinda cold. Because the gas everyone spoke about when using this method I never really understood because my stuff never was that strong! But oh no! Now I understand. People need to know how strong this really is.

Sorry for butting into someone elses thread but i was wondering... Do you use HCL and 3% peroxide to dissolve gold regularly and not Aqua Regia? Is there a benefit to this?

Do you think dipping plated gold or gold filled material in it would strip the gold off the material?
3% stuff is too weak. Diluting everything. I buy 30-35% stuff, that is the thing you want.

I also thought I might have added too much bleach and it did exactly that. Neutralized the HCl. So I did try adding a bit more in but nothing happened.
Unless it is highly acidic from HCl, it won’t work.
Use bleach sparingly and be generous with the HCl.

At chemical supply company against the our company VAT. Not sold to regular persons due to possible illicit explosives manufacturing. Similar as nitric acid, sulfuric acid, also hydrogen peroxide is banned from sales to public. You must work with chemicals and have certificate in order to buy it here. In the older days, it was sold against the ID and after filling a paper declaration of what you are gonna use it for. And limited purchase was only available. Since then, EU banned this, and now we cannot purchase even battery acid :D :D strange times...

Relatively harmless stuff is banned, but TCCA... HEY, I see no problem selling that to anybody... :D Same with glycols coolants for cars. You can even still buy quicklime here (god bless that) - altough I think quicklime is more dangerous than battery acid in good number of ways. Some established office workers with zero knowledge once again mess up with something they know nothing about.

where do you get that? And that will dissolve gold? Would it work by dipping plated or GF?
Dipping gold plated in any solution that dissolves the gold will cement out any dissolved gold on the cheaper base metals underneath. Leaving you with gold powder of the dissolved part in the mix (not in solution!!)
Other plated parts may not even dissolve, because the base metals are attacked.
I always expect nature to take the path of least resistance.
So either dissolve the basemetal away (AP) or deplate the (gold?) layer electolytically in an acid (conc. H2SO4) that will not dissolve the base metals.

Have you checked your stannous solution? Maybe it's stale.

scrapparts

[EDIT] It's been a while since I've been here and the design is different. I didn't see page 2 of this thread until after I posted.... Sorry!

The benefit is that you do not need to deNOx if do not use Nitric.

It sounds to me like you skipped a step, or maybe I did not understand correctly. The gold flakes must first be removed from circuit boards or cpus, or de-plated from pins, before attempting to put into solution via aqua regia.

Back