gold foils gone!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Art,

It's not uncommon for many people to use the full amount of AP as shown in my video to process a very small amount of scrap. This is asking for problems.

When working with small amounts of scrap use an appropriately small amount of AP solution. You should start by covering the scrap with HCl and then adding a very small amount of 3% H2O2. If after 15-20 minutes you don't see a blue color in the solution add a second small amount of peroxide. Once you see the blue color you don't need any more peroxide until the AP no longer is making progress (over a course of at least an hour).

You can understand the AP reaction completely if you read the copper chloride document on my website.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

First off I didn't wait 15-20 min for a reaction. Maybe 10 min at the most before I added a little more peroxide. I probably had about the right amount of HCL but I probably over did it with the peroxide. That's when I noticed the gold dissolving.

Art

Latest posts

Back