gold in solution lost on how to recover

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yusuf1986

I had some gold particles and decided to see if there were any, I added 2 ounces of iron sulfate and lo and behold there were some yellow sludge. Acting as if I remember anything from gen chem I added HCL and finally lost the sludge. Now I have this green solution and don't know what to do since there is sulfuric acid in there. Don't even know where to start. Wasn't the hcl suppose to take everything except for the yellow sludge?

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions. STANNOUS CHLORIDE! Just a drop of stannous chloride will tell you if there was ever any gold in the solution.

I am amazed at how many times people think there is gold without ever testing for it.

It seems you added solid ferrous sulphate, however you "corrected"
by adding HCl. Hence the gold content is negligible, if any

Anyone know if I should be worried about the order of reaction given that there are two strong acids in the solution
(sulfuric acid) when adding the tin chloride

Should be getting some in 3 or 4 days. The gold flakes that were there 2 days ago have dissolved. Never seen anything like this before. This can't be colloids because FeSO4 was added but I could be wrong

yusuf1986 said:
Anyone know if I should be worried about the order of reaction given that there are two strong acids in the solution
(sulfuric acid and hcl) when adding the tin chloride

Should be getting some in 3 or 4 days. The gold flakes that were there 2 days ago have dissolved. Never seen anything like this before. This can't be colloids because FeSO4 was added but I could be wrong
What was the source of these "gold flakes"? How do you know they were really gold?

Geo, there are several variables involved when recovering gold. It's not like one method works for all, simply looking into research gate will show you some things that will blow your mind.

yusuf1986 said:
Geo, there are several variables involved when recovering gold. It's not like one method works for all, simply looking into research gate will show you some things that will blow your mind.

I am pretty sure there is not much to read about "recovering gold" that will blow Geo's mind. :lol:

Somewhat bored to say this another time, but download and read Hoke and all the basics on the forum....it might blow your mind.

I'll read it this weekend, cross my heart and.....
seriously i'll read it....i should read it now being how bad the weather is but gotta do some homework...maybe i'll get a part time job when i finish this expensive education

You should have some idea of what to expect when you add stuff together. If you are expecting gold solution to look like yellow mud, you should study more. There are any number of things I could point out and say, "if you had studied better, you would know what to expect" but I'm not going to do that. It's easier to just say you need to study more and leave it at that.

https://books.google.com/books?id=peIOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA799&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U1XqsGL1rKFRu65U6TMmfSGaFP8fA&ci=121%2C172%2C752%2C1223&edge=0

yusuf1986 said:
https://books.google.com/books?id=peIOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA799&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U1XqsGL1rKFRu65U6TMmfSGaFP8fA&ci=121%2C172%2C752%2C1223&edge=0
I only get "Image not available" when I click the link.

Göran

Still got my mind left, yusuf1986... was this the research that would blow my mind? It's common knowledge that there is more than one way to dissolve gold.

Thanks Jimdoc for providing the image.

Göran

Latest posts

Back