Gold inside chips (black, flatpacks - not CPU)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what you can and should expect in pan from 100 grams of s/n bridge BGA chips. Longer wires accumulated to nice ball, small bits of wires all around pan.

Attachments

• DSCF3309s copy.jpg
    DSCF3309s copy.jpg
    752 KB
patnor1011 said:
Here is what you can and should expect in pan from 100 grams of s/n bridge BGA chips. Longer wires accumulated to nice ball, small bits of wires all around pan.
What method was used to crush chips?

Incineration of chips and then I just crumbled them with fingers. You see, when they are incinerated properly they crumble to powder without much effort. Then I just washed most of ash with water. What remained were just bonding wires and some small pieces of plastic. I just used spoon to mash rest of burned plastic and wash away with water. At the end just gold remained in pan.

patnor1011 said:
There :D

All you can see there on that picture. :mrgreen:

If you want a number then it is here, few posts back. I already reported that from this type of chips - minimum you can expect is 5g from kilogram.

Here's the way i do it...

Though panning isn't my choice for small batchs... I do feel that some sort of flotation seperation should be done on a largers scale, say 5 lb and upward.
I have plans on building a bit larger inciniration unit wich includes an after burner to keep toxic emissions to bare minimum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZganYmR0-w

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZganYmR0-w[/youtube]

Just found a kind of "iron cross" from one or another incenerated chip.....what the hell?! I am sure, there was no northbrigde made in germany and not made before 1945! :roll: :lol: :!: :?:

If I only knew what producer it was, that would make a fantastic conspiracy theory! :lol:

Btw done my first gold washing..... :cry: THAT IS JUST NOT ME! in a dirty pot from the beginning there was more gold than after one hour in my last wash! Next time I use chemistry instead!!! That's something I can handle! :lol:

Hi Sam congratulations on the video once again a good help.
I just have one doubt it might sound stupid. On the video, almost in the end, you say that you process the ash without the magnetic pins into AR.
Don't you have copper based material on that ash? Should we run it through 50:50 Nitric like Pantor does it? Or that is just for the metallic pins???
Or is it because Pantor is processing N/S bridges at the same time?

Sorry for my doubts i hope you can help me.

most quads and dips have iron based legs. after incineration and milling, the magnetic material needs to be removed before processing.

Geo said:
most quads and dips have iron based legs. after incineration and milling, the magnetic material needs to be removed before processing.
Hi Geo
Thanks for the info. i knew about that i'm just trying to find out why Pantor on his Guide washes those wires with dilute nitric.
We only come across those wires with flatpacks right? With IC's we have only powder right?
And if the same process is applied for the baby powered. I guess when we have powder we can go strait to AR.

all the IC packages will have iron legs (except the north/south bridge chips). after removing the iron, nitric wash is to remove the few copper legs and the small amount of silver/palladium in the glass chips. also, after the nitric bath, you may see some white material that would not dissolve in the nitric. this will most likely be bits of melted aluminum.aluminum is used under the packages substrate as a heat spreader.after the nitric bath, incinerate the powder to remove the nitrates. now place the powder into a hcl bath to remove the aluminum.after this wash, rinse with water and process with your choice of chemicals.

nmlfreitas said:
Geo said:
Hi Geo
Thanks for the info. i knew about that i'm just trying to find out why Pantor on his Guide washes those wires with dilute nitric.
We only come across those wires with flatpacks right? With IC's we have only powder right?
And if the same process is applied for the baby powered. I guess when we have powder we can go strait to AR.

Yes, no pins inside s/n bridge but occasionally you may end up with copper too, when you split top and bottom part some copper leads might get stuck (and believe me they will) on top part so I wash concentrate from that in Nitric too.

Other IC will have some amount of copper based pins you will not be able to remove all with magnet so I wash concentrate in Nitric too.

AR is final step for me. I like to wash concentrate in nitric, that will get out any silver present and that will add up to our pm pile. :)

Pantor and Geo thank's a lot.
Now i'm sure how i will performe my experience.
I have about 800gr of IC and 100gr flatpacks. i guess i will treat them separatly and then join then on AR.
Do you think that EEproms should be mixed with ICs or EEproms don't have any PM on them.?

I am a little confused. I have still my ashes from 1,3 kg incenerated flatpacks and s/n-bridges. Should I start to wash them with HCl (dissolving basemetals and especially tin, but Ag will form some passivating AgCl at its surface) or with HNO3 (dissolving basemetals and Ag/Pd, but Sn will form unsoluable hydroxides)? I think I read both.

I know, I have to incenerate after HCl, when using first HCl, then HNO3, or the other way round.

Latest posts

Back