Gold inside chips (black, flatpacks - not CPU)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, thanks :)
So I should wait a couple of minutes for the gold to settle between washes? What if you use a second container that you pour the washes into, and let that stand over night, and then siphon off much of the excess water and wash it like before, maybe you can find some more gold without too much effort? :)

I dont know, purpose of washing is to get rid of ashes so if you leave it stand all night it just settle down and you did not washed anything. I am thinking about using blue bowl for washing. Particles of gold chipped away from silicone waffer are minuscule to be worth chasing for. I am happy with gold from bonding wires and plating on pins from inside.

Great information, can't wait to try my hand at incinerating some chips.

Will this method work on connectors i.e. ram slots, ribbon cable on mother boards?

Chips are low in polymers and high in fillers. Other plastic composites such as mother boards and connectors will not burn so tamely. If you start a board on fire it will get ugly fast. Loads of soot and toxins.

Scraprat,
We all have looked for an easier way, people for thousands of years have searched and experimented, many spent lifetimes not finding a way that would work, but found a lifetime of things that would not work, , that is how the processes have come about, through much trial and errors, some of these processes have developed over century's of trials and errors, so studying how to perform the processes that are proven to work you can save yourself many errors others have learned how not to do it, and how to do it in ways that do work, unless you have many years to spend trying to find out what does not work, I feel a person is much better of learning what does work.

A scientist would learn first the how the reaction works, before he experimented with the unknown, or tried to tweak the procedure, this way when he got different results from a small change he made to the experiment he would have an understanding of why his results did not work when he made minor changes, he would also notice if his changes were improvement to the reaction or not.

If this scientist knew nothing about the reaction, or how the experiment was performed, and just tried things he did not understand first (before he learned how to do the process), he would have no idea of what he was seeing in the reaction if it was an improvement or a failure.

If a person wants to learn how to build an airplane and learn to fly it, he would do best from learning from the mistakes of others that have tried for centuries to learn how build planes and to fly, and learn from these people who tried this before him, and can show him what works and what does not work, before he jumped of the cliff in the airplane he thought would be easier to build and to fly.

Hello Folks,

Well what a read! Great Thread! I have to thank Geo for pointing this thread out to me.
I got a lot of information indeed. Great job Patnor1011, thanks for this information and
by the way your .pdf is very well done and handy.

patnor1011 said:
I need to find out way or place where I can upload original size of pictures. When I took these they were over 5MB each.

I wanted to mention to you Patnor1011, I have PILES of server space so if you ever run
into the situation of needing to up load large files to share with others let me know. Be
it pictures, video, or whatever. Free of course...

evL

[][][]

Im just getting started in the learning process of scraping electronics. Ive been watching everyones posts and am highly impressed at how u guys get along. I live in the middle of the US and don't know anyone out here that is into this. So I am trying to learn on my own. If anyone has any advice on what or where Should start it would be highly valued. Thank u

I just weighed 8oz of gold cornered flatpacks and put them into a HCL wash to remove some of the solder on the bottom. I noticed no reaction and intend to now incinerate. Is the solder on there something to be wary of?

I also had a handfull of gold cornered flatpacks that had monolithics attached to them, as well as a metal heat sink or such attached, do you know what metal this is? Do you process all these together or separate? Is there any contaminating metals that frequent these parts that I should watch for?

crow king said:
I just weighed 8oz of gold cornered flatpacks and put them into a HCL wash to remove some of the solder on the bottom. I noticed no reaction and intend to now incinerate. Is the solder on there something to be wary of?

I also had a handfull of gold cornered flatpacks that had monolithics attached to them, as well as a metal heat sink or such attached, do you know what metal this is? Do you process all these together or separate? Is there any contaminating metals that frequent these parts that I should watch for?

Heat your solution some. It will dissolve the solder right off!
Flatpacks with monolithics and heatsinks ????? Are you sure they are not CPU's? Post a pic.

He is right, I found quite few of them it is aluminium round piece inside that black plastic part. I have no problem with them as it is easy to separate that after chip is incinerated/pyrolyse`d.

The ones with square heatsink attached - well you can detach that with some heat applied or use chisel or knife.

*edited - pictures attached

Attachments

• nb2.jpg
    nb2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,100
  • nb1.jpg
    nb1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,100
Patnor! Do you consider the one with the square heatsink a flatpack? I was under the impression that real flatpacks were like n/s bridge chips. Isn't the square heatsink one some sort of processor? But then again, I suppose the n/s bridge are processors of a sort too!
I haven't yet run across one like that ATI.

north and south bridge chips are processors. flatpacks are normally SMD that are square or rectangle. though the terminology has changed and been corrupted through word of mouth, today flatpacks can be any package that has more than ten legs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northbridge_(computing)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatpack_(electronics)

I reacted to Crowking - I posted pictures about what I think he is dealing with.
I generally consider every black square chip with more than 8 legs as flatpack and I separate them in 2 categories. Well that is just my method. All thin ones with thin legs like the ones on RAM sticks are in one, thick ones with thick legs are in second category. Black parts from noth and south bridges (ball grid array) chips are cream for me as they do not contain metallic parts inside only some of them like that ATI pictured do have that heat sink type of metal attached. They are easier to process. Lately I started to remove Si wafer from inside as it is harder to grind and when it is in small pieces grinding become harder. It is easier to remove that right after pyrolysis before I start to grind burned chip housing.

Chips pictured with square heatsink well they are BGA type chips they usually do have some monolythics attached and I do not process them yet. I just toss them in a box and I will decide later what to do with them, they maybe end up on ebay - I do not see much value inside but I may be wrong.

Tomorrow I will try to make some pictures of concentrates (material after initial pyrolysis and grinding and washing with water).
1. will be just black top parts from n/s bridges
2. will be from all other flatpacks
3. same as No2 but with Si wafers removed prior grinding

I always do it like this: burn / grind / water wash / dry / grind again / water wash / hot Nitric wash / AR
I remove all magnetic pins after first grind and most of non magnetic too by using sieve. Whatever non magnetic is left is usually dissolved in hot Nitric wash later.

*edited pictures added

Attachments

• DSCF1577.JPG
    DSCF1577.JPG
    917 KB · Views: 1,052
  • DSCF1576.JPG
    DSCF1576.JPG
    712.5 KB · Views: 1,052
  • DSCF1575.JPG
    DSCF1575.JPG
    655.3 KB · Views: 1,052
  • DSCF1571.JPG
    DSCF1571.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 1,052
Hello, I'm new to the forums and to refining/recycling of electrical components. I am currently just starting to collect parts and probably won't get into refining for a year or two. One thing that confuses me about this topic is the definition of "Flatpack". It appears that everyone is being selective of which IC's they include in this category for gold recovery (primarily computer IC's in specific locations), but at the same time nobody has actually said that not all IC's have gold. So... is a "Flatpack" a specific type of Integrated Circuit, or do all IC's have gold in them and I am just misunderstanding?

I mean, could I take an op-amp from a speaker system, or a 555 timer from some random circuits and expect there to be gold in it?

Maybe and maybe not. That is why I collect any chip with more than 8 legs. I have found gold in chips with pins on two sides too, generally consensus here is that we call (or at least me in this thread) flatpack all black chips with more than 8 pins.
I separate them in 3 cat similar like Geo is doing:
1. low yield - rectangular chips with legs/pins on two sides, eprom like plastic/resin type (less than 1g/kg)
2. middle yield - all square and rectangular with pins on all 4 sides and 2 sides pin chips from ram (1-4g/kg)
3. high yield - black top parts from south and north bridge BGA type chips from motherboards and video cards (5+g/kg)

I have just processed about everything I had but I might find some and I will try to take few pictures.

If my calculations are correct after reading this Very informative post , at today's Gold Price of 1666.50 per troy ounce , 1Lb of Chips = roughly $35.00 USD . This is based on the 10.3 Grams Gold from 7Kg / 15.4 Lbs of chips . I wonder how many gold bearing chips like those discussed here , were attached to "mid-grade green board" or even some "low grade brown board" that I have sold for 30 and 10 cents a pound at the local scrap yard ??
The same concern applies to the other PMs found on "30 cent green board" such as the Palladium in the Monolithic capacitors , and who knows what else ? Just thought I would share my little "Ah-Ha Moment " .

Back