Gold Karrat question..

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flankdrive04

Hi All, Adam from Australia back after a Loooong break from this forum :lol:

I have a question regarding karrat gold.(spelling??)

How is it made?

ie; if you start with 1 gram of .999 pure, how do you then make it 18k, 14k, 9k etc? what is added? Copper? Tin? Zinc? Nikel? and what would be the weight of the end product?

I know this may be a little left of centre, but I would love to be able to know, and confirm that "10 grams of 24K (.999) makes 50 grams of 9k"

My interest in this hobby is using the recovered gold to make rings, pendants for loved ones, but my jewller is "very" vague in relation to my questions, thus I fear I may be being taken for a ride.

if possible, it would be far better for me to be able to 'down grade' my gold first, then the jeweller only has to form it into something (reducing my cost) 8)

many thanks in advance!

As I understood from reading thru the forum, jewelers can be, by law, .5 karat under & still mark the item 10k, even though its only 9.5k. Some, not so honest jewelers, sometimes like go well below that. I have come across items marked 14k that, after refining, they turned out to be 11k! :shock: Even the color of the item gave it away, the Mizar24 & stone testing showed as well, too!
One troy oz. 31.103g, so 10k is 12.97g gold & the rest is 18.133 base metals,
(copper, silver, nickle, tin, lead, palladium), the % of either is depending on the color & strengh desired of the item. Remember, the items will most likely contain lees that 12.97 pure gold...
One of our expirienced jeweler members can help more.

I hope this helps a bit. Take care!

Phil

thank you both for the replies...

The link is awesome, and part of what I was after.. So once I work out how much "alloy" to mix... how do I know what metals to use for this alloy?
Thanks again!

Well, it depends what color you want the item to be, how strong does it need to be, due to wear & tare; again one of our jeweler member can shed more light on the subject as soon as one comes across this post. 8)

they sell alloys that are ready to be added to your metal
also I did have the proportions for that but I don't know where it is

Hi Palladium
I tried to find his web site and get that page that show the formulas but I couldnt
do you happen to have the page

Not an answer to your question yet but i did find something else interesting.
http://www.riversidelab.com/dental-lab-services/riverside-dental-ceramics-laboratory-alloys.aspx

See if this helps you any. http://www.jewelrybynet.com/jbn_lc_jewelry_gold_colored_carat_alloys.asp

http://www.goldsmithing.com/archive/index.php?t-6.html

Making gold alloys is fairly simple unless you start trying to make 18k white with palladium content.
10 grams of fine gold will make 26.6 grams of 9k the maths are easy, take the starting weight of your fine gold and divide by the assay of your karat..10 / 0.375 for 9 k =26.6, 10/.750 for 18k = 13.3. If you let me know what alloys you want I'll see if I still have them, most are a mix of copper, silver and zinc and silicon is added if it's for casting but not if it's got to be formed.

Back