gold lids

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arthur,

Here's a link to a small batch I did some time ago:

Gold Lids

Some of these buggers can be a real pain to dissolve. As things progress I manually pull out the lids as the foils lift off. I keep a spray bottle handle to rinse the loose foils off of the lids as they lift. When the HCl gets saturated siphon it off and add more. When you get down to the last stubborn few, switch to diluted nitric acid.

The small cell doesn't present these difficulties, but has drawbacks of it's own, namely the time required to process larger quantities. With a larger stripping cell this flaw could be virtually eliminated.

Steve

I have some chips with BOTH a top and bottom lid. I'll use the Pentium Pro as an exapmple, the bottom plate always come right off with the Mapp torch., however, i cant seem to remove the tops. i had a chip glowing red hot and the top would not come loose.

Do they just not come off?

I see in Steves Poor Mans AR that you should remove both the tops and bottoms.

Thanks in advance for any help on this

Ryan

The top comes off with a hammer......LOL good Luck. need to brake them up any way....

Keith

If you get the entire top lid glowing red it slide right off.

The bad news is that the lid is mostly tungsten which is very stubborn to dissolve and the resulting oxides are tough to filter from the solution. They don't lend themselves to kindly to the stripping cell after they are removed since the gold alloys with the copper in the tungsten after exposure to the intense heat.

Steve

Back