Gold Ore Refining Help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh5rb99

Dear All,

I have about 35 ounces of gold ore from my time in Western Australia that I'd like to refine. I have linked a photo of it below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwVsdTwbDPOaRTFFNmNSQkRnMXc

I have already broken down the rocks and panned it several times to remove extra rock, quartz, and impurities, so what I have left surely has a very high specific gravity. As it has not been broken down completely (to a dust) and still has a mix of other materials, what do you recommend that I use to break it down further and then be able to separate the gold from the rest?

I've previously just used a hammer and cloth to smash it up into smaller bits, but think that I should probably use a heavy duty rock crusher if I really want to break it down as much as possible.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=rock+crusher+gold+mining&tbm=shop

It seems as if the borax method of melting down gold flakes is best, but the problem is that this sample will be mixed with a variety of precious metals and bits of rock, so it is all mixed up.

What do you suggest if I'd like to process this on my own? Or, alternatively, do you recommend any small-scale refinery that could do it for me? I live in Washington, DC.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_9347 (3).JPG
    IMG_9347 (3).JPG
    1.4 MB
Hi Steve,
Get a rock crusher you'll have more fun.
That's my opinion.
You got 35oz's and rock crushers come from $1500 and up like in your google ad.
Get a size crusher you can work with, smaller one you just have to break up larger pieces of ore.
Good luck!
John

I made a small crusher from black iron pipe. You can pick the parts up at any hardware/home store.

1 short piece of 2" pipe with cap
1 longer piece of 1" pipe with cap.

Put some of the rocks in the larger one, insert the capped end of the smaller/longer one and hit with large hammer. Pound away until it's as fine a powder as you want.

Does a decent job but you may want to wear ear protection.

For the amount that he has to work with, and the learning curve of designing your own elegant solution, the frit maker sounds like a good choice.

Latest posts

Back