gold plated borax

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnoutlaw34

let me start by saying this is a wonderful forum. I have learned a lot but not enough i guess. On the advice of a local jewerly maker i tried to use a cast iron spoon and borax to melt my gold powder. I now have a hard as a rock glob of gold plated borax any help? I have been reading on here for a month or so, used the search button but not sure what to search for in this case. I down loaded hokes book but can not get it to open now that i have it. Thanks tim

sounds like quite a pickle your in.how much gold? how big is the spoon? did you do this before coming to the forum or did you find us looking for a way to recover your gold? without any more information than you have given i can tell you now that you must destroy the spoon. you said it was cast iron? break the spoon in pieces. take all the pieces that have your gold stuck to it and place in a beaker. add dilute sulfuric acid and gently heat.WARNING!! hot sulfuric acid will cause sever acid burns on exposed skin and cause blindness on contact with eyes.monitor the reaction adding more diluted sulfuric acid as needed until the iron has been dissolved.sulfuric will also remove the borax so you should be left with the gold you started with.for future reference melting gold in anything other than graphite or melting dish or crucible will add impurities to your gold.

just a gram or so it was a trial run. i joined in september of this year. and have spent hours reading the forum. i have already broke the ladle sorry i called it a spoon earlier.

to qst42khow. it wasn't his gold it was mine. i live in a small town and was trying to buy a melting dish. he said as long as i used borax i could use any kind of material to melt in. lesson learned.

to geo and qst42know. thanks for the replies. qst42know i'm sort of scared of harold, not good at spelling and punctuation. geo i used ap on 200 grams of fingers to get my feet wet i guess i got them wet alright everything went to a t until i got to this point. I have searched the forum and have not found anything like this.

to harold no disrespect at all. but i have spent hours and hours reading this forum. but you know how it is when you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar.

tnoutlaw34,

You will find Harold is just like a big furry teddy bear, as long as you do your best, and do not rock the boat, because then he becomes like a shark in the water, and you sure do not want to tip that boat over,

Harold is one of the most patient people I know of, spending many hours of his time helping others out of the goodness of his heart. He does bark every now and then to keep members in line, but even this is for the good of the members and the forum,

No need to fear him, just do not make our big teddy bear turn into a giant hungry grizzly bear. :lol:

we all goof up your goof is minor compared to many of mine.

ordered 2 melting dishes from lazersteve today, remelted some of the borax into a cup of water. today they fell apart trying to get them out. So now i have the rest of the ladle soaking over night to see if plain water will be a fix as i dont have access to nitric just yet.

no i do not feel i am at a level to start with battery acid yet. i have been reading and studying it. trying to get ap process down first

Latest posts

Back