Gold plating with some silver mixed in.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rreyes097

Supporting Member
So recently I've been refining sterling silver and and i have some gold plating that came off some of the sterling i refined. The coffee filter has trace or maybe more then trace amounts of silver along with said gold plating. Will this block my gold from being dropped from aqua regia?

If you are meaning that you process what remains in the filters in AR, given that there is silver AND gold there then the answer is no. It won't cause problem at all.

Your silver will mostly become Silver Chloride in AR which you can filter out of the AR completely thereby leaving your gold in solution for dropping as normal.

Jon

Wash the residues off the filter papers into a beaker and cover with nitric and place on heater, allow the nitric to fully react with any silver or base metals, decant the solution and rinse well with distilled water, cover the remaining residues with HCl and place back on heater and slowly add drops of nitric allowing all reaction to stop before adding more until all reaction ceases, filter and precipitate.

Latest posts

Back