gold powder mixed with iron(magnetic)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur kierski

i precipitated with smb gold powder which was magnetic----iron precipitated together with the gold--------

how can one separate the gold from the iron?
thanks for the help
Arthur

I believe Nickle is also magnetic. Have you tried washing with hcl ? Search for Harold's technique on the subject.

Thanks TommyA for your reply,yes,it might be niquel----although i think that is iron----i know that a hcl wash will eliminate the iron----but i thought that might be another way,like sulfuric or some thing else----i only suspected of iron --because the weight of the dry gold powder was higher then what i was expecting
regards
Arthur

Arthur, you can do H2SO4 boil as well. Its just if you have copper in there, H2SO4 will not digest it during the wash.

In addition, boiling in H2SO4 with remaining traces of HCl from AR may dissolve some gold, if you do not incinerate before H2SO4 treatment.

H2SO4 has a very high boiling point, so you probably will not get it to boil very easily, if it is dilute its boiling point is much lower (water boils @ 100 deg C) as the concentration of sulfuric acid is increased so is the boiling point of solution, no need to boil strong heating will work just fine, HCl has a much lower boiling point. so if there are traces of HCl or chlorides (chloride salts would form HCl in the sulfuric acid, the sulfuric will make sulfates of most metals which were previously chlorides, if these were in solution), the HCl will vapor off as you heat the solution if sulfuric is the majority of solution (once the HCl has concentrated to its azeotrope in solution it can basically be removed, if gold did dissolve it would precipitate back out after the other volatile acids were driven from solution as vapors, to dissolve iron you want the sulfuric to be dilute to get iron into solution, iron will not dissolve in a concentrated sulfuric, there are iron oxides that will not dissolve in acids and can be very difficult, to get into solution (these are also insoluble in acid that dissolve our gold, and can remain as red rouge powders). note also if you dissolve iron into this dilute sulfuric acid solution this would also form ferrous sulfate in solution, copperas would precipitate gold if it was in solution), this dilute sulfuric would not put silver into solution like a concentrated sulfuric could.

Thanks ,Butcher for your explanations----,i went with hcl and the gold-iron powder diminished to half it original weight----incinerated---and then ar again----the result was a clean gold powder----
now , another question: why so much iron precipitated with the gold when i used smb? this happens to me sometimes(double or co-precipitation)----specially when dealing with ram chips-----
regards and thanks
Arthur

Latest posts

Back