Gold refining decant solution treatment

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decentdude21

We refined some gold which contained more copper. After refining was complete, the decant solution was treated with sodium Meta Bi Sulfite and zinc.

But even after that some ppm gold and silver is showing in it. We have treated it 4-5 times, like for gold we added SMBS and Zinc and for silver we added NaCl and HCl.

I want to know why is this happening and what is the solution for this?

Au showing in it 4-5 ppm and Ag 25-30 ppm.

We refined some gold which contained more copper. After refining was complete, the decant solution was treated with sodium Meta Bi Sulfite and zinc.

But even after that some ppm gold and silver is showing in it. We have treated it 4-5 times, like for gold we added SMBS and Zinc and for silver we added NaCl and HCl.

I want to know why is this happening and what is the solution for this?

I do not quite understand you.
After refining will in my mind after it has been dissolved and dropped as pure Gold.
Why do you add SMB after it is supposed to be barren?
And why use Zinc not Copper?

Can you please walk us through your process, step by step so we can understand what you do?

There may be some language barriers here as well.

How did you arrive at these figures?

And what is what you call the decant solution? Filtered aqua regia is typically what the gold is recovered from. Decanting will affect the purity but still not cause Gold (and especially not Silver which is not very soluble in aqua regia). Are you in fact testing the sludge left behind when you poured off (decanted) the pregnant solution?

Rightly or wrongly I'm going to suggest that you've used something along the lines of an AAS to get this assay result. If you have 4-5ppm gold it's likely to cost you more than it's worth in time and materials to get it. This is definitely the case with the silver. It's very easy to become a "busy fool" chasing the last tiny amounts and at these levels it truly is tiny. I know this, because I used to chase every last bit.

Personally I would leave it.

Latest posts

Back