Gold Refining Without acids

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as people are responsible for their waste acids, wouldn't that "save" the environment?

kkmonte said:
As long as people are responsible for their waste acids, wouldn't that "save" the environment?

^^^This

If you handle your wastes correctly there is zero harm to the environment.

PS. Good luck with refining gold without it, if you find a way to do so please let us know and share the knowledge.

I don't think there is such thing as zero harm to environment. especially when dealing with acids and heavy metals. there is always some fumes, residue... even production of acids is not always environmentally innocent.
but the question was if there is method without acids. I havent heard of it and if there was, I don't think it would be any environmentally friendlier than dealing with acids in controlled environment.
just my grain of gold...

There are two that I know of, one is mercury and the other is cyanide both of which in my opinion are likely to cause much more damage to the environment than acids and certainly more long term damage if not handled correctly and should I say expertly.
There are many ways to concentrate your values, most have been discussed on the forum and in detail but to refine your going to need chemicals of some sort and with gold been very non reactive to most chemicals only strong and dangerous ones will actually work which is why safety is stressed so hard on the forum.

..and thiosulfate, thiourea, iodine, bromine, thiocyanate, some organic compounds ...all of them are as dangerous to you and the environment as "acids", maybe more. And the processes are very, very, very sophisticated.

If I had a great amount of ore in my garden, I would consult and pay an engineer to set up a process for me and surely not start something I have read here and there on a forum or in a book. Tons of ores, chemicals and waste are something else than a handfull pulverized chips in a 1 l round-bottom flask. Some grams can cause an accident threatening you, your family and your neighbours, some 100 kg can cause a disaster threatening a whole city.

So,that is my advice: Consult someone, who knows what and how to do.

alden214 said:
Hello,

I have gold in rocks, dirt and sand but I do not want to use acids. I believe in saving the environment.

Any ideas/tips will be appreciated

[email protected]
You just joined yesterday. Before you know it, you'll be just like me and others here that said.......
"I'm not going to mess with that Nitric Acid.... I don't want to mess with those acids at all"
...and before you know it, you're more than messing with it.

I'm sure you've been told/advised to read "C. M. Hoke's book" (Refining Precious Metal Wastes). It was intended for people like you and I, who knows NOTHING about refining precious metals. Read it. You'll thank the forum for it.

Also, I've refined gold and silver so far, and I do not think you'll get anywhere on the forum refining without any acids at all. You are going to need acids at one point or another. Don't believe me?, ask other members here.

Kevin

I have gold in rocks, dirt and sand but I do not want to use acids. I believe in saving the environment.

There are planty of experts here. You should start telling what kind of ore or whatever it is, maybe show some pictures. Maybe you will be able to capture some interest. I am sorry, I know nothing about mining. But I know it is an art itself and I've never heard of, someone puts tons of sand into expensive acids. I know, everything can be learned to some point. So, start reading by yourself, so you know what and how to ask.

alden214,

Are you looking for ways to collect the gold, mine it, pan it, or suction dredge it, mining techniques recovery, or actual refining ...?
Is this gold in hard rock, or is free gold in a stream or river?

Mining first would not be a refining operation but a recovery operation, we must recover gold before we can refine it. even after we get the gold we then recover the gold from the other metals, before we refine it, if you already can get the gold (through mining) you can learn more about concentrating and the separating the gold from the other materials and base metals.

For refining gold Hokes book (free download in book section or under many members posts) is what you need to start with, and reading the forum.

A book I think is well worth buying and is more related to mining is C.W Ammen's book titled recovery and refining of precious metals.

Spend time reading the forum and I am sure you will find answers to most all of your questions.

If you can give better details about what it is you are looking for we may be able to give you a better answer, or a place to help you find the answer, but it may take you a little while and a bit more study to be able to phrase the questions in a way that we can really help.

Welcome to the forum.

Latest posts

Back