Gold Shell powder refining

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloneme

Hi this is my first post to this very interesting Forum. I have about 1kg of Gold shell powder ( genuine gold 23.75 cts treated with metal powder and gum ) used for guilding etc and I'm trying to extract the gold content. I first used a small amount of the powder and added HCI and the result was I was left with a residue of grey powder and what looks like a heap of yellow gold specks. Anyone know what the grey powder would be? I don't want to use Nitric acid so my next step would be to use Acid Peroxide = 2 Parts Muriatic Acid, 1 Part 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to see if this would dissolve the gold then drop the gold with SMB is this correct. I would attach photo if i new how.
Thanks
cloneme

do not use AP to dissolve gold. AP is for reclaiming gold that has been plated on to a nickle substrate that has in turn been plated to a copper substrate. take a sample of the material you have (lets say 3 grams) put this into a glass container. with this add 100 ml muriatic acid (hcl acid) then slowly add chlorine bleach 10 ml at a time and stir after each addition with a non-metalic stirring device ( if you cant find a glass rod substitute with a plastic spoon) until the powder dissolves. then test with stannous chloride to make sure you have gold in solution.

cloneme said:
Thanks Geo I will give it a go.

This isnt something you just give a go at. You don't even know how... What's your next?... The chemicals are very... Agh nevermind.

I meant giving the testing that geo suggested to see if it really is gold. I don't go off half cocked.

cloneme said:
I meant giving the testing that geo suggested to see if it really is gold. I don't go off half cocked.

The concepts Geo was talking about are quite basic. If you don't even have a grasp on the most basic concepts how will you proceed? I suggest you put everything away in a safe place and read Hoke (available here on the forum for free). Then after reading you will not be in the dark anymore. If you are determined to start without doing any reasearch or "half cocked, let me ask you a few questions. Where will you be doing your work? Do you have a fumehood? What safety equipment are you using? Do you have neighbors close by? Any children or pets? How will you dispose of your wastes? Where will you dispose your wastes?

Latest posts

Back