gold wont drop out

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffro17

Can ya's help me out please? I start with 16 pound of scrap, went through the process and now I have black liquid which wont clear or drop out the gold.
Any ideas?

First hello
Explain in detail
·. 16 lb of what material (pcb's,pins,processors,fingers
.flatbacks,or maybe gold filled jewelry
Infact I think maybe the gold wrappers
On the inside of a Willi wonks bar is what your talking about)
You get the point...more info
What process HCL/H2O2 or HNO3
or are you Referring to refining
or a cell
wait did you even say gold .darn that would be a good thing to know also
Platinum,palladium,silver,tin maybe?
Read the form to see what info is needed to help you
Thanks steyr223

Got to agree. Without details of what type of scrap, and what specific process you are using to recover values, you are not going to get any help.

Use the search engine on the forum. Read Hoke's "Refining Precious Metal Wastes", which can be found as a free download in many member taglines. Read it a few times. Perform the acquaintance experiments a few times to understand the processes you will be using, then come back for assistance.

Not trying to be mean, but I am going through the learning process myself, and the advice I am giving is the same that I have gotten myself. If you run into specific problems, specific advice can be given.

I started with 5 pound of computer pin, 2 pound of ram finger ends, 3 pound of high grade cpu units and 6 pound of jewellery.
First covered with HCI, allowed to heat. Then started adding small amounts of Nitric Acid. After four hours of this I let it cool down. The next day transferred to a clean glass jug ( I had half the scrap left in the bottom, so I srayed it down). Then I tried to filter with not much luck - into another clean glass jug, I had ice and a small amount of sulfuric acid ( about 20ml ) in it. And still the liquid was black.
Then started adding the Sodium Metabisulfite, Stirring well and still no color change after 3 days.
:idea:
Thanks,

Jeffro my advice is to put a large piece of copper into your solution and to cement out any values there, if you have any metal left in your scrap then they probably have values cemented onto them also.
You need to make stannous chloride to be able to test your solution for values, if you don't know what I'm talking about then cap your solution allow any fumes to be able to escape, put it somewhere safe and start to read.
Take the guided tour here on the forum, spend time studying the saftey section, download for free and read C.M.Hoke and get the basics sorted.
We could tell you how to recover and refine your gold and other values but you need to understand what we would be telling you, none of us have the time to hold your hand all through the processes your going to need to reach a successful outcome but if you do your part and get reading help will be on hand if you get stuck or can not understand certain parts.

Wow

This is going to be an excellent post if
The poster sticks around and please do
Read and ask questions so we can all learn

Your in the best possible hands in the world, even
If you wanted to pay for the info you wouldn't find
anything close to the minds on this form

Remember your values never go away unless
you throw them away 8)

I'm on the edge of my seat ........
Steyr223 rob

jeffro17 said:
I started with 5 pound of computer pin, 2 pound of ram finger ends, 3 pound of high grade cpu units and 6 pound of jewellery.
First covered with HCI, allowed to heat. Then started adding small amounts of Nitric Acid. After four hours of this I let it cool down. The next day transferred to a clean glass jug ( I had half the scrap left in the bottom, so I srayed it down). Then I tried to filter with not much luck - into another clean glass jug, I had ice and a small amount of sulfuric acid ( about 20ml ) in it. And still the liquid was black.
Then started adding the Sodium Metabisulfite, Stirring well and still no color change after 3 days.
:idea:
Thanks,

Jeffro, AR is tricky when dissolving mixed metals. you said after dissolution you still had undissolved metal in the reaction after it cooled down. you do not have any gold in the solution, you never did. when dissolving mixed metal, the metal with the highest reactivity will dissolve first,then the next,then the next. so, any aluminum or zinc dissolved first, then iron, then tin, then lead, then copper, then silver, finally you start dissolving gold. if any of the metals before gold was still present when the solution cooled, even the tiniest bit of gold that did dissolve when the solution was hot, cemented out of solution on the base metal. all your gold is in the metal that didnt dissolve.metals-reactivity-series.jpeg

Latest posts

Back