Gorgeous Processors

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyline27

Check these out

Item number: 160217378240

Does anyone have any experience with these?

What's your guess on the winning bid?

Buzz said:
The CPU legs don't appear to be gold plated, anyone know why?

I thought they all were.

Buzz

They appear to have been un-soldered from circuit boards. Is it the solder residue that you're referring to? Or were you maybe having a temporary color problem with your screen?

macfixer01

hey guys those do have the legs on them . they also look mangled up . they still look to be gold plated but they also look to be burnt also . i'll bet it will go for $500

I say about 2,000 USD... at least

ok, the question of the day, what expected yield would we get from lets say one pound of those chips?

Mike B

im new at this but i'll take a stab and guess at no more than 1-1 1/2 grams. its got to many legs missing and also its mangaled up .

donald236 said:
im new at this but i'll take a stab and guess at no more than 1-1 1/2 grams. its got to many legs missing and also its mangaled up .

I think maybe you're confused by the photos? The chip in the top pair of photos is missing a few pins and has some mangled. The middle photos and bottom photos are two variations of a different type of chip. It looks to me like the top side of those chips has several rows of bumps which probably act as supports for the heatsink so it doesn't teeter-totter by pivoting at the gold plate in the center. You might be thinking those supports look like rows of cut-off pins? The only difference between the chip in the middle photos and the chip in the bottom photos seems to be the orientation of those support structures. They run side-to-side on one and lengthwise on the other one.

All in all, there don't seem to be as many pins there as one might expect compared to say a Pentium Pro? Also the chips appear to have been de-soldered from a board so the pins are also partially coated with solder.

macfixer01

yea you are probley right i think i might have mis judged it . but over all
i think who ever is paying that much for them is a little bit looney .i mean right now as it stands there paying out $25.50 per pound or real close to it. thats to rich for my blood . what about you guys :?: :?: :?:

donald236 said:
yea you are probley right i think i might have mis judged it . but over all
i think who ever is paying that much for them is a little bit looney .i mean right now as it stands there paying out $25.50 per pound or real close to it. thats to rich for my blood . what about you guys :?: :?: :?:

Well those NEC processors ended up selling for $1149.00, pretty ridiculous huh? I'd be really curious what the buyer gets out of them. Maybe he knows something the rest of us don't? The date codes seem to indicate the late 1990's so I wouldn't think they contain that much gold. Still though, in that many pounds there has to be at least 1-1/4 ounces of gold wouldn't you think? I would hope he didn't just get carried away and pay too much to realize a profit after paying for the processors, the shipping, the chemicals, and his time to process them.

macfixer01

man you hit the nail on the head when you say profit . because yes you are probably right in thinking there is maybe 1-1/4 ounces witch in turn would not turn a profit . as for me i try to figure all that in when I'm buying circuit boards but people don't seem to get it . they don't get the fact that you have your time in it . you have your chemicals that are needed . your shipping cost . you buying the said product . so all those factors have to be taken in to account even before you even buy the product to make even a slight profit . as for me i at least try to make a larger profit margin but sometimes it don't work out that way . and when it don't i tend to back off . it sounds very stupid if you buy something and you cant even make a profit then and there i mean that person is going to have to wait a while before they will even think about a profit .now not only is he not making a profit at that price witch i think is really stupid . hes going to have a heck of a lot more money invested in them . i think when he finally wakes up and finally realizes what he has done i think he will kick his self in the rear
donald

Wow... $1149 for 28 lbs. The first one is an adapter for next generation CPU validation. It would be used to verify new chip design functionality by plugging into a known good motherboard design that used the previous generation. Probably running at a much slower clock speed to be compatible. The second and third are also adapters for the same purpose but used in place of an MCM (Multi-Chip Module). MCMs usually had much larger cache, ALU or geometry acceleration that simply wouldn't fit into a single die using the current die technology at the time. From the looks of it, this was probably 1992-96 technology. The difference between 2 and 3 could be different MCM types or a test of 2 design/layout possibilites. These might go into temporary prototype production for software development until the motherboard design could catch up. A few might even go to select customers to build future business confidence. If anyone is interested, I'll post a photo of an MCM I have with dies exposed. It has gold everywhere. It actually has pure gold trace layers in the white ceramic between the dies and from the bond out wires to motherboard pins instead of package wires. It's kind of like a miniature multi-layer PCB but in ceramic. Hey, maybe we need a section like the current "Show Us Your Nuggets" Gallery but for unusual gold bearing pieces we find?

Ok, I'm a little slow but here they are. I didn't have a microscope or I would have shown the gold traces, etc. in the white ceramic too.

Attachments

• IMG_9960_F.jpg
    IMG_9960_F.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 942
  • IMG_9959_F.jpg
    IMG_9959_F.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 944

Latest posts

Back