Gorgeous Processors

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realize that many of you know this but I'm sure many don't - If you come across some nice, unique, pretty CPU's they're worth more to collectors than as scrap gold. If that guy on ebay didn't mangle those nice NEC CPU's, he could have gotten a lot more than $1,100. That may be why some of these ebay auctions seem outrageous.

If you come across any nice looking CPU's or any IC, ask the guys at the "CPU World forum" what they think. Here's the link:

http://www.cpu-world.com/forum/

Here is one of the worlds rarest CPU's. A Zilog.

[img:588:324]http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Z80/L_Zilog-Z80%20CPU%20(wgg).jpg[/img]

Here is a rare intel purple. Are those legs silver?

[img:554:333]http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/8086/L_Intel-C8086-pbs.jpg[/img]

Here is another that costs $1,200 (in 2005 dollars)

[img:890:425]http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/68000/L_Motorola-XC68000L%20(SN807).jpg[/img]

So if you happen to see any like this, think twice before processing.

Have an old atari 400 bought in 79, man the floppy drive cost $500 back then. 5mb hard drive 5k. Guess its time to take the atari and old game machines apart.

here is another one I found looks like the third one exactly. no pic yet see pic 3 above only diff is company.
Part No.

MFR/DC/DE

Price

Quantity

Amount

L/T

IMSG171S-35

INMOS

USD168.00

1PCS

USD168.00

STOCK

have looked on ebay, they go for nothing. Thing is mine still works.
300bd modem floppy drive, b keyboard and upgraded to 48k ram.
Think The chips are worth more.

viacin,, The bottom picture that u put up on page 2 of this topic it has 40 legs on either side,, I have one that has 20 legs on each side however I ran it through my de-plating cell last year.. it still has traces of gold on some legs top plate removed and most of the gold came off on the inside also,, oonly half the size of the one you showed..

Hey you all.
I picked up a load of telecom scrap last week which included some boards with similar chips; take a look (sorry, my photography skills are lacking)
Any ideas?
Thanks

Attachments

• intel.80.JPG
    intel.80.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 475
  • 27685.79.JPG
    27685.79.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 475
Damn, I use to have a bunch of the Zilog and MC 68000, 68002 &03 cpu's back when i worked for a custom computer co. tubes of them!!! If i'd known then... :?

PIC of some bds i'm processing now. Sent pic's to a "big" "trusty" refiner, reply 'pretty good bds, mostly light plating'

Attachments

• BD8-Front.jpg
    BD8-Front.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 407
  • BD8-Back.jpg
    BD8-Back.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 408
  • gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 407
viacin said:

L_Zilog-Z80%20CPU%20(wgg).jpg

L_Intel-C8086-pbs.jpg

L_Motorola-XC68000L%20(SN807).jpg

sorry to resurect an old thread.... but do we knwo what equipment those motorola chips were used in? Were they used in Atari's and apples? or ZX-80/ZX-81/Timex Sinclair types?

Exibar said:
viacin said:

L_Zilog-Z80%20CPU%20(wgg).jpg

L_Intel-C8086-pbs.jpg

L_Motorola-XC68000L%20(SN807).jpg

sorry to resurect an old thread.... but do we knwo what equipment those motorola chips were used in? Were they used in Atari's and apples? or ZX-80/ZX-81/Timex Sinclair types?

I believe XC was Motorola's designation for any experimental or pre-release chip. I wouldn't think you'd ever get that much money for the garden variety MC versions but who knows? I always liked the classy look of the light purple ceramic and gold chips. Besides Motorola, I believe TI and Intel have both used that packaging also for certain masked programmed ROM's and Static RAMs. And of course the nicest looking processor in my opinion the Pentium Pro. TI is generally very stingy with gold. When scrapping an older board I generally crack at least one of each type of DIP packaged chip on the board. Motorolas and a few other brands I recognize often have a bit of gold under the die and on the inner tips of the pins, but rarely will I ever see gold in a TI chip. They seem to put it on the outside to be seen if they're going to use it.

The first generation Macintosh computers (Mac 128K, Mac 512K, Mac Plus) used an 8Mhz Motorola MC68000 processor. There but for the grace of God it could have easily been another failed product like the Lisa or Apple III. It was originally designed by Burrell Smith with an underpowered 6809 processor and the same big crappy 5-1/4 inch TWIGGY floppy drives that the Apple Lisa computer had used. However Steve Jobs stole the project and switched it to a 68000 processor and 3.5 inch Sony floppy drives. Even so, it still had a tough time catching on. I'm thinking the Commodore Amiga may have used a 68000 processor also? I really never worked on any of those though, so I'm unsure.

Anyway, I was a service tech at a retailer back then and occasionally saw Mac motherboards with the ceramic and gold package 68000's but the majority had the plastic DIP packages. Since the Mac was designed with no slots, companies like Hyperdrive designed hardware upgrades that actually attached by clipping over the processor chip. The early desktop Macintosh's such as the Macintosh II and CX used 68020 processors, I believe the Mac IICi was the first of many with a 68030, and the Mac IIFX was the first of many with a 68040 processor. From there they switched to the PowerPC family of RISC processors.

Lets see... Zilog Z80 chips were big a few years earlier after the S100 systems waned. Except for those who had an Apple ][, Commodore PET, or Radio Shack TRS80, everybody else crazy enough to have a personal computer back then was running CPM and it's one major application WordStar. I believe probably all of the dedicated typewriter-based word processors that ran WordStar also used the Z80 chip. Again though the majority you're going to find will probably be in plastic DIP packages, not the fancy ceramic ones the collectors want. I've scrapped several arcade video game boards too and many of those use Z80 chips.

macfixer01

On another tangent, how do you like these 1975 vintage Intel Eproms? I suppose I'll get around to putting them on Ebay one of these days. They'll be worth more there than as scrap.

Macfixer01

macfixer01 said:
On another tangent, how do you like these 1975 vintage Intel Eproms? I suppose I'll get around to putting them on Ebay one of these days. They'll be worth more there than as scrap.

Macfixer01

oh those are purrty.... What would you be asking for them, if you wanna sell?

Mike B

oh, um... this guy wants $120 each for them up on ebay.... way too much for my blood!

auction number: 220236497939

Mike B

Exibar said:
oh, um... this guy wants $120 each for them up on ebay.... way too much for my blood!

auction number: 220236497939

Mike B

Thanks for the brief thrill Mike. Asking for that kind of money and getting it are two different things though. It's true there is no telling with collectors. I know I've spent thousands of dollars on older fireworks-related books for my collection. But that seller could also be relisting that chip at lower and lower prices for a long time, all the while accruing new listing fees. I see it's also a slightly different part number than my chips though, and may be more rare.

I always have a difficult time figuring what's fair on something that really is only of great value to collectors. I'd probably just list them maybe $5 or $10 apiece starting bid in a Dutch auction then let the market decide the final selling price. If someone wants to bid a crazy price to make sure he gets one, then so be it. A lot of Ebay sellers ask far too much on the starting bid or buy-it-now price for scrap gold lots, as has been talked about here before. Then you also see people selling boards you might be interested in as scrap, but they're only listed with some obscure part number and no usable pictures to judge scrap value from. That's a waste of time in my opinion on the off chance you'll find one or two potential buyers who actually know what that part is for, and then actually need or want one. I say why limit your market? Make it appeal to as many potential buyers as possible, and take good pictures. Sorry I guess I'm rambling again.

Best wishes,
Macfixer01

Latest posts

Back