• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

GRAPHITE CRUCIBLES BONE ASH CUPELS

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anycreekdrift

I have a number of these that i can part with. Pic left to right

Graphite/Carbon crucible Size 1-1/8" mouth 2" high concave interior. Melt Temp 2912 F/ 1600 C

Fine grade extruded lab grade graphite milled crucible(very smooth interior/exterior) very durable
Size 1-1/8" tall 1" mouth concave interior bottom. You could also use this to pour into for small/medium beads. Melt temp 2975 F

Bone Ash Cupel 1-1/8" outside diameter 1" tall

Bone Ash Cupel 1-3/4" outside diameter 1-1/4" tall

I also have Not pictured are some clay roasting/melting dishes 2" outside diameter 1" tall. Also I have some smaller bone ash cupels not pictured.

Let me know if your interested the only kinda costly item is the lab grade graphite curcible. I'll try and post some prices later on if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• DSCF1424revised.JPG
    DSCF1424revised.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 279
Just putting these out there incase anyone is in need. Pic left to right

Pyrex glass I believe this is at least double strong 1" mouth 5-3/4" tall, Make offer.

Vials I will have to look up how many drams these are I think off the top of my head they are 5 oz volume. Come with caps all have a little skuzz in the bottom. Usefor for placer gold and other small items. Not for gold Nuggets.

30g crucible new 4" tall 3-3/8" OD mouth

Small Cupel as noted in prior post 1-1/2" top OD, 1-1/16" tall. I don't know if these are bone ash or not, heavy for size.
Pic 2
Clay roasting/melting dish as noted in prior post.

Graphite rods nice for prodding hot stuff ect. Small in size 2-1/2" x 1/8" with pointed tip, and 2" x 1/4". I have a couple thousand of these so I can let them go pretty cheap. Make an offer I will go with what sounds reasonable for the graphite rods I will try and post a price list in the next couple days.

I live in AK so shipping is expensive if you are interested in a number of items I prefer to pack a flat rate box $8.95. I can take payment via paypal or mail method cert. funds. Please don't ask for parcel post unless you like to wait 4-6 weeks! Yes it really is that slow.

Attachments

• DSCF1425resize.JPG
    DSCF1425resize.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 266
  • DSCF1434resize.JPG
    DSCF1434resize.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 266
Pictured is some items I can also part with.

The graphite rods that didn't quite come out in the previous post. These are easy to form to a point as they are graphite some fine sand paper will work fine. The previous picture of the Pyrex glass came out a little wrong please see picture.

I have some smaller 2.5 OZ vials

some smaller clay roasting/melting dishes 2" dia by 1" tall

If you only want one item I can ship out first class mail very affordable and fast.

I will be posting a Price list on the 8th or sooner.

Attachments

• DSCF1435.JPG
    DSCF1435.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 238
  • DSCF1437resize.JPG
    DSCF1437resize.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 238
Price list and Qyt available

Item Price Per Ea. Qty avail
Graphite/carbon crucible $3.25 4
Melt point 2912F

Graphite Crucible $10.00 4
Melt point 2975F

Graphite Rods $0.25ea or 10for1.75 More than I care to count
Either size

1.5" Bone ash Cupel $1.40 18

1.5" Magnesite(mgo)Cupel $1.50 5
Tapered bottom

1.75" Bone ash Cupel $1.65 10

30 Gram Clay Crucible $3.65 3

2" Clay roasting dish $4.10 4

Small glass vial 2"x5/8" $.50 5

Large glass vial 3.75"x7/8" $.95 15

Pyrex glass jar 250ml est. $6.75 2

If your interested PM me what you want how your paying include your mailing location I'll send back a total and my paypal ID or mailing address for snail mail. I can ship either First class under 12oz or Flat rate box $8.95 you can add confirmation if you want. Items will be well packed and clearly marked FRAGILE.

If you're addressing your question to anycreekdrift, they haven't been here since 2009. If you're on a PC, you can hover your cursor over a user's name and see the last time they visited. On a tablet or phone, click on their name or avatar.

Dave

Does anyone know if calcium phosphate dibasic powder is the same thing as bone ash. And if so how to use it to make a cupel?
Not exactly, but an important part of it. Search the net for bone ash.
For cupels, many use plain dry Portland cement, it works.

Not exactly, but an important part of it. Search the net for bone ash.
For cupels, many use plain dry Portland cement, it works.
I did search and the substitute came up as dicalcium phosphate and I ordered that from Amazon but I got the powder I originally said The calcium phosphate dibasic. Do you know what I can mix it with to make a cupel or should I just Google it like you said?

So I read that quick Crete cement mix has Portland cement in it along with sand and gravel. I have a bag of this. So if I sift out the gravel and chunks leaving the dust. Maybe this will work also?

So I sifted out a portion of quick Crete cement mix and formed a dry layer ona round bowl object to see if it would work for cupelling. But I started with a piece of silver that was a purple color. Not sure what was in it to make it so but some of the powder I sifted from the quick Crete clumped onto the silver. I removed it from the homemade dish to a regular graphite mold and melted the whole clump of silver and cement mix that was on it. I sprinkled a bit of borax onto it and it actually turned the right silver color.BC2CC71B-24E1-4D04-93D3-9BE4006590D3.pngimage.jpg

So I read that quick Crete cement mix has Portland cement in it along with sand and gravel. I have a bag of this. So if I sift out the gravel and chunks leaving the dust. Maybe this will work also?
In theory, yes, it should work if made from Portland cement. Portland cement is most commonly made from roasted limestone. This is ground to a fine powder an acts like a binding agent for the gravel in the concrete mix. Most Portland cement is a specific type of binder, making it usable over some other types of cement for cupel’s. Portland is the only type I would try to use as other types are made from various materials that may not play well with some metals.

It is best to use Portland type 2 by itself. Screening out the aggregate from Quickcrete concrete mix, may not remove the finer bit of remaining silica. This essentially creates a flux. The flux will seal the necessary fine pores, and change the ability of the cupel to absorb the oxides. Type 2 neat cement is put in a refractory container, no water added. A nice parabolic depression is pressed into it, using whatever you can find to make a smooth finish. If you cupel it in a furnace, it may take longer then normal to heat the usually larger mass, than a pre made factory unit. A torch can be used, but is very wasteful of fuel. A propane torch will work, but you may need to sit there and swirl the flame around for 40 minutes or so, depending on weight of collector metal.

Back