green crystals in stockpot

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patnor1011

I had about 10l of waste AR, wash acids and water. I decided to get rid of it so I evaporated to about half, there was quite a lot of wash water included. After that I added several pieces of copper bars from heat sink. After few days when I went to check progress of copper being dissolved I found some small pieces there but quite large chunks (like ice hockey puck) of greenish/clear crystals. Is that normal? It never happened before, does that mean that I evaporated too much of water?

Sounds like you evaporated the solution too much. I wouldn't bother adding water I would just add some more waste solution into the bucket and then let the crystals go back into the solution.

If the crystals are long needle like clusters, it most likely is copper chloride crystals. Take some from the solution and place them in a container. Once they are exposed to the air, they will dissolve back into a liquid sucking the moisture from the air.

Latest posts

Back