Green Stuff

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lubovgeorge

OK, I just tried my first Aqua Regia and I threw in a few CPU's , contacts from motherboards and some clean pins that totaled about 1 pound. Anyway I did exactly like the instructions says to do. I do however think I added too much storm percip. to the mix. The result is a plastic container of green and lite gold residue all over the bottom. I did however scoop some clean gold out that stuck to the sides. I think the green stuff is copper but there is still alot of gold mixed with the green stuff. My question is how do I seperate this? Do I run it through the acid again? Please if you can do me a favor and used easier words for I am not a chemist. I have muratic acid in my garage if I can use this. Thanks, George

If you have added precipitant to AR most of your gold will be the dust on the bottom. One pound of mixed e-scrap will not look like much at all.
Test your solution for dissolved gold with stannous chloride (tin dissolved in hydrochloric acid). This is inexpensive to purchase or you can find instructions here on the forum to make your own. Once the solution tests free of dissolved gold you need to gather all solids in a filter.
If you still have bits that look like gold they likely have some sort of oil residue protecting them, these can be caught in the paper filter.

What you end up with is a filtered barren solution, and one or more filters containing all your values and some trash. Complete instructions for dealing with each can be found here on the forum.

OK so Im going to try your advice soon. Anyway while Im on the discussion, I have some photos and questions that maybe you and or others can help me get through this Aqua Regia nightmare. The three photos shows the green mud, should I First wash and rinse all of it into one conatiner then drain it so that I'll have one big batch of green mud? Then what? The next photo is what I believe is some gold that has been recovered and dried in a coffee pot, What do I do next, it doesnt look 100% clean. And my last question is the memory sticks are not gold, Im sure that someone can tell me what they are plated with, I believe tin? Thanks guys for any help, George

Attachments

• 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    1.3 MB
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    1.3 MB
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    1.4 MB
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    1.4 MB
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    1.4 MB
You have created a big mess.
Neutralize it and dispose of as HAZMAT materials.
READ HOKES BOOK, and the forum. Learn what’s at the bottom of the bridge before you jump off head first, (the river may be dried up).

Whole circuit boards and electronic components you have un-dissolved base metals your acid can not reach that will hold your values, unless these boards were ground fine and burnt and all metals brought into solution you would never overcome the problem, this is only done in large commercial industry with proper equipment never by the small refiner, the base metals use up your acids and un-dissolved base metals will grab the values, you have organics and epoxies and other crap in your mess, many dangerous metals in solution and powders, processing this mess will be more dangerous than if it was done properly the first time and you will not get a lot of the values as losses will be high.

If I had this mess, I would probably use a plastic bucket in a bucket, the inner bucket has many holes drilled in bottom. Using acid peroxide and air bubbler, i would try and separate metals from circuit boards and plastic, letting pieces of metals sink through holes in inner bucket, after as much metal removed from circuit board materials as possible rinse boards, let mud settle and decant, test solution for values (you had nitrates so there is a possibility but not likely as so much base metals), incinerate mud, then put it in a jar and call it your first mistake. After reading and studying you will learn to process this mistake.

The incineration procedure, do not breath these fumes you have a lot of very dangerous materials there in these gasses.

This is why I posted this and the pictures to see if I can do anything with this. Actually this mess contains no curcuitboards. This goo consists of only a few CPU's , A few gold pin connectors that was torn from boards with pliers and a handful of clean gold plated materials.
Wow thats how bad it is, even the pros cant identify this stuff. So what you are saying is abort at all costs? if this is what you are saying, then thats what I need to know.
You are correct about jumping into something before knowing what I am doing. I bought the AR kit from shore and followed their instructions. I guess I screwed up somewhere in the process.
Im going to read this Hokes book and try again. Thanks

No it is not a total loss, as if you did not do whole circuit boards, as I had thought from pictures, but you do have the base metals and solder in your solution with Iron and so on,

(Sorry from pictures I thought they were the whole memory circuits, it looks like circuit boards in there)
Remove plastic, and remaining cpu's rinse well, save cpu's these if they are ceramic, fiber type save separately after rinsed, rinse powders and incinerate them save them in a jar, now back to the HOKE's book, and reading on the forum,

Collect material to process while you are learning, read guided tour, and the forum handbook, study processes for the different types of materials, learn to make of your own chemicals needed like nitric acid unless you have a good source, check out Steves web site and study his video's, start with processing one type of material after you learn how, maybe something easy like fingers, following a proven process, following step by step procedures.

We all make some mistakes at the beginning (heck we all make mistakes even after we learn), you have plenty of time to get the gold but spending time learning first you will get more gold.

This is my advice, another member may have advice to help you clean up this mess but you will need the studying to get anywhere in this field of refining, and homework will get you there faster than cleaning up messes will.

forget Shore, you found the forum.

The white fingers on the memory sticks are tin plated. You could test this by rubbing them on a white paper, tin is so soft that it will leave a gray streak on the paper.

/Göran

butcher said:
No it is not a total loss, as if you did not do whole circuit boards, as I had thought from pictures, but you do have the base metals and solder in your solution with Iron and so on,

(Sorry from pictures I thought they were the whole memory circuits, it looks like circuit boards in there)
Remove plastic, and remaining cpu's rinse well, save cpu's these if they are ceramic, fiber type save separately after rinsed, rinse powders and incinerate them save them in a jar, now back to the HOKE's book, and reading on the forum,

Collect material to process while you are learning, read guided tour, and the forum handbook, study processes for the different types of materials, learn to make of your own chemicals needed like nitric acid unless you have a good source, check out Steves web site and study his video's, start with processing one type of material after you learn how, maybe something easy like fingers, following a proven process, following step by step procedures.

We all make some mistakes at the beginning (heck we all make mistakes even after we learn), you have plenty of time to get the gold but spending time learning first you will get more gold.

This is my advice, another member may have advice to help you clean up this mess but you will need the studying to get anywhere in this field of refining, and homework will get you there faster than cleaning up messes will.

forget Shore, you found the forum.
I see header pins still in plastic connectors. I've come across a super easy way to remove the plastic connectors with them still on the board (supplies leverage, you'll see why in a sec). the friction of the tight fit of plastic on many pins doesn't allow them to lift off easily - if you try, you'll end up mangling your pins.

Please remember, before processing, you are going to heat all your reclaimed feed stock to cherry red (incinerate) on an outdoor burner to eliminate carbon-based contaminants, including oils. So, spray your pins with a quick shot of aerosol pan coating, like PAM. You could use industrial spray lubes like WD40, but you end up with lubricant residue designed to withstand heat & moisture, whereas pan coatings are just a vegetable oil & propellant, usually isobutane. Then using a wood chisel (mine is a 1" cheapo) simply begin to pry first at one end, then the other& you'll see & feel the plastic gliding off of the pins, leaving them intact,erect, & undamaged for your removal method of choice.

Lately, on newer boards, I'm just cutting them off flush with the board with some nippers or flush cutters. On older boards, I believe the original gold plating extended through the board, and though now alloyed with the solder mix, there are still some gold values present which should be released when the base metals are dissolved. These boards i place on a steel plate atop a hot plate which i turn on high. When you seecomponents start to wiggle, grad the board with pliers & flip it over a container & bang on the bottom with whatever you have at hand & everything will drop cleanly off.

I seperate the individual components, & high-grade the most desirable first, for me, in this case, the pins. When you have a sufficient batch, spread evenly on a metal sheet or better yet, an old steel skillet. Heat to cherry red, approx. 700 degrees, officially & ideally for 1 hour. Make sure you leave the lid off - you want an oxidizing atmoshere ( rich in oxygen)as this hastens the combustion of carbon-based contaminants. Putting the lid on, though drawing less attention from your neighbors, creates a reducing atmoshere (one depleted of oxygen) and you wind up with beautiful electronic charcoal (this I learned the hard way).

The pins should now be ready to process. Muriatic acid (HCl) in a crockpot on low heat for a few days will begin to dissolve your base metals, including some of the solder, and will let the very thin leaves of gold plating to float free.

everything I've written here, with the exception of removal of header pins, I've learned from this forum & the knowledgeable folks who frequent it & support it, & with their help, I downloaded "Refining Precious Metal Wastes", by C.M. Hoke (she's a gal), which explains in simple terms some seemingly complicated processes. it's worth your time to download it & print all 300+ pages so you can read it in the bathroom, before you go to bed at night, ... :lol:

Good luck & hang in there. I'm a beginner, but thanks to these folks here, I have my first visible gold as washed gold foils, as well as a considerable amount in solution, waiting to be harvested when the solution is pregnant (where do we get these terms?)
Jordan

The muddy mess, iron powder, and iron ring around the plastic will mostly all dissolve in straight HCl. The resulting solution should be tested with stannous and properly disposed of as Butcher pointed out.

Once the muck is cleaned up with several HCl washes (wash until the HCl no longer is discolored) you can begin to get a handle on the tiny amount of gold (if any) that you have.

The brown color is clearly rust (iron) from what I see. The green is likely copper and or nickel plus some other metals from the looks of your source material.

Anything that goes into the HCl wash liquid is not likely gold at this point since the solution was obviously saturated with base metals as evident by the formation of the slimes and sludge.

Fall back, regroup, and do the hard part of studying before you try again. On your next batch be sure to only process scrap from a similar source (don't mix types of scrap) in the same batch.

Process a single finger board using Acid Peroxide (AP) and carefully observe what you see happening. The foils from the fingers should remain in tact and visible throughout the entire recovery process. Once you can get a tiny recovery from this reaction use it to make your gold standard test solution (see Hoke), then scale up to 600 grams of fingers for your first button. Don't attempt to tackle cpus, bulk pins, or other scrap until you master AP first.

Steve

Thanks guys will now attempt to learn before attempting again. But should I wash everything into one big batch and set aside? Thanks for all the help and advice and sorry about the photos, It does look like boards. George

Inceneration, stannous chloride test, eliminating base metals,these you will also read about, always keep them in your tool bag.

keeping tin and solder out of the picture can eliminate alot of nightmares.

aqua regia can be a challenge if base metals present or you do not rid (evaporation) nitric before testing, or in the precipitation process, even the stannous test can be wrong if nitric dissolves the gold in your test your tin chloride is trying to precipitate to a purple of casius.

somtimes other methods are easier such as acid peroxide and HCl and bleach.

new refinners can learn alot from Steves web site, following the steps he layed out for them, order his video's they will pay for themselves, why make a mess then ask for help, when you can follow his step by step proceedures and ask small questions as you collect your gold from your sucessful processing.

I am not picking on you LubovGeorge, and would like to help you get your gold now (from this batch), but if you do not learn this for yourself, you would forever be dependent on us for help, once you learn it yourself you will soon be teaching us, and showing us your beutiful melted buttons.

Latest posts

Back