Greenish precpitate in AR

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roj

Hello
I run pulverised ceramic cpus in AR . When I decant the solution I found very fine powder like bright green all 9ver the ceramic . Any idea what is that ?1487980194431-1290498712.jpg

Attachments

• 148798023929863902516.jpg
    148798023929863902516.jpg
    3.8 MB
Depends on what you put into it. It could be white silver chloride that is stained with the AR solution.

Its got some green to it, but it also has some bright yellow to it. Since it's cpu's i would venture to guess tungsten oxide.

Attachments

• yellow-tungsten-oxide-WO3-powder-for-electrochromic.jpg
    yellow-tungsten-oxide-WO3-powder-for-electrochromic.jpg
    188.9 KB
It's actually exactly looks like the picture you posted palladium. How can I get rid of it ?

If you hit it with AR the gold would be in solution. Id filter the solids a couple of times. Then precipitate. Then refine it.

V

Filtering and rinsing this powder is horrible! I will give it try and keep you updated .

Rinsing and filtering 150lbs is a lot of fun !
BTW this were already processed with AR .
This is my second extraction. It test positive for gold , so there is actually gold inside the ceramics. I will post the yiled when I am done .

If you are processing crushed pre leached ceramics then I would agree with Ralph that this is tungsten based residue.

I look forwards to your results as they will help to close a discussion about gold inside ceramics that has been going on for years. Personally I believe that you will get gold. That given, knowing which particular chips contained the gold is a different exercise altogether.

To answer your main point. Look up polypropylene filter cloths. They could help you a great deal.

All the best.

Jon

hello,

sorry i didn't understand:

"I look forwards to your results as they will help to close a discussion about gold inside ceramics that has been going on for years. Personally I believe that you will get gold."

was the discussions background the particle size of crushed cpu's? (better to pulverise them than only crush em?)

filtering of the sludge into a frit (don't know if it's the right word, in german we say "FRITTE") by vacuum isn't possible?

regards, frank!

Hi Frank

There has been an ongoing debate for years as to whether there are gold bonding wires within the ceramic matrix of these processors. That's what I was referring to.

Jon

If it is pulverized fresh CPU:s then it won't say anything about any gold inside the ceramic body.

I thought that this question was decided several years ago.

I'm also so sure of how ceramic CPU:s are made so I can send ceramic bodies to anyone that want to test the theory, but you have to pay for the shipping. Currently I have little under a kilo of leached ceramic cpu:s but there will be more later in the spring.
I like to leach the cpu:s whole so I get the undamaged die.

Göran

Roj I think is processing ceramics that have already been through the recovery process, he was the member who was asking to buy them in quantity, if this is correct then either there are wires inside some of them or the ceramic itself absorbs some pregnant solution.
Goran if you crushed up some of yours and re ran them perhaps you could find out the truth, from the price the OP was offering for processed CPUs he only needs to find 0.1 gram of gold per kilo to cover costs and double his outlay !

g_axelsson said:
If it is pulverized fresh CPU:s then it won't say anything about any gold inside the ceramic body.

I thought that this question was decided several years ago.

I'm also so sure of how ceramic CPU:s are made so I can send ceramic bodies to anyone that want to test the theory, but you have to pay for the shipping. Currently I have little under a kilo of leached ceramic cpu:s but there will be more later in the spring.
I like to leach the cpu:s whole so I get the undamaged die.

Göran

Hi Goran

It was never decided in a full test, it was merely debated with differing points of view posited. As such I'm glad someone is going through the motions! :D

Jon

My bad, I read the original post and not the one later down. Yeah, it will say something at least.

I don't have a suitable equipment at the moment to crush the ceramic bodies into a fine powder so the offer still stands, anyone that wants my leftover ceramics can have them for postage only. Only condition is that the result is reported to the forum.

Göran

I'll give it a try if postage isn't tooooo bad.

What do you do with your dies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Postage for 1 kilo to USA is $15, still interested?

What I do with the dies... well, I'm a collector and I like to look at electronics in my microscope. There also are people that likes to make pictures of open dies. It is also a source of almost pure silicon.
Right now I don't know what to do with it but I'm just hanging on to then just for fun... and there was someone looking for dies to make mosaic from them I think (edit... that was you). There might be a market for them somewhere.

Anyhow, it's easy to see when the leaching is done as the die falls off the ceramics.

Göran

Yup...I'll send $$ to try the ceramics.
I think there was someone else saving dies as well. I pull mine with solder still on them. Want to get back to metalsmithing soon. I'm going to put some jewelry together at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My view...
They could well be like jewellery sweeps, if you get it right you extract 90 percent of the gold on the first pass, if you get it wrong a lot less, some definitive data would be good to see if there is any gold left after a proper extraction, that leaves the possibility that either there are gold wires or that the process isn't perfect to extract all the values or refiners are not getting all the values due to other reasons.
Do the acids react with the ceramic to make it possible for it to absorb values ?

Latest posts

Back