hand warmers for gold precipitate?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cab_419

Hello, I'm no chemist, but I was curious to weather or not hand warmers could be used as a gold precipatant?

The product is "hot hands hand warmers"
The following information is from wikipedia on the topic "hand warmer".

type: Air activated (iron)
Some hand warmers contain cellulose, iron, water (catalyst), activated carbon (speed up reaction), vermiculite (water reservior) and salt (catalyst) and produce heat from the exothermic oxidation of iron when exposed to air.

This is probably not a good idea to try, but I was just curious. I'm sure a bit of research on the more specific chemical content would be nessicary to come to a more accurate conclusion, or their's always the trial and error method.

I am curious to what type of reaction I am to expect and perhaps a beter, more redily approach to precipitating gold. I have learned how to make aqua regia from scratch, starting by making sulfiric acid, then from there nitric and hydrochloric, and finaly the royal stuff. But I'm stuck on the precipitating part.

My reason for "hoping" this is possible is because where I'm from buying "chemicals" be it drayno or salts is not something you just want to do. Alot of people abuse science and make "illegal" substances so for the average joe to buy unusual combinations of products raises suspission and ends up being a realy complicated mess for all party's. It would seem alot easier to pick up a couple hot packs than it would be to ask for fertilizer, drayno, rocket fuel and lye.

My goal is to "melt" down a few processors I've had for years and make a ring or some sort of article so that I may simply have the reward of accomplishment.

Another question I have involves seperating copper from gold and why it is sugested using a "stainless steel" screen to filter your au solution? So many books explain so many things, but withought seeing it for yourself it's realy hard to tell. And honestly most doccuments I've read seem to be writen by people that have just read themselves, why's it so complicated to explain a 15 minute process using common elements? Then after the concept of Physical doing or seeing is accomplished, the math and science can be explained, processed and learned later. Just makes sence to me that way. Yay youtube. ;)

It is not a good idea to use steel to drop you gold. The suggestion here on the forum is to use Sodium Metabisulfite (Not Metabysulfate. This is done after your base metals are removed and you gold is dissolved in HCL/Clorox, AR, AP.

Do some searching here on the forum and you will find what you are looking for. Ask questions there are lots of people here to help out.

Cab, you can make ferrous sulfate to use to precipitate gold from aqua regia,it works well, a dilute sulfuric acid 10% is fine, remember when diluting sulfuric always pour the acid into water, Never pour water into sulfuric it is violent and will spit acid at you, use Iron, transformer laminates are soft iron and work, I cut them to small pieces, burn off oil or varnish and wash them before disolving them in the dilute sulfuric, (Iron) ferrous sulfate is a green solution, and can be evaporated to crystals, ferrous sulfate crystal can also be used as a test for gold in a drop of solution on a white dish, although stannous chloride (tin chloride) is normally used.

read through the forum you will find many ways to make many of the things you need, from common supplys.

Latest posts

Back