Has anyone built large AP tanks?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
55 Gallon PTFE drum with removable lid.( $20 second hand used / $100 new ). Filter sock $10. Other stuff $50. These can be made small and portable. When used right you can't free the thing fast enough. Or make your own variation.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=11181&p=110386&hilit=micron+gallon#p110386

yea, thats me. i do apologize to any new members. that is not the correct way to handle material such as that. when i started the camera, i had no idea i was even going to show the foils, so it was a spur of the moment thing. on a side note, anyone that has touched AP solution knows it stains the skin and if not removed can kill the skin in the area of contact. normal soap makes a sticky gooey mess out of it. one product i have found will remove the stain and all traces of the copper. its called Oxi Clean.

I think it's very ironic my neighbor had these in her garage sale today. Very shortly after I read this post. She had about 15 and my budget would only allow 4. But still they were only $10. These are smaller than a 55 gal, maybe the next size down? She wanted $15 for the 55's but the lids were flimsy.

Attachments

• IMG_20121001_105703.jpg
    IMG_20121001_105703.jpg
    586.8 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20121001_105742.jpg
    IMG_20121001_105742.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 211
This is what I have set up...

I have a 110 tank with AP, I have long ceramic air stones pushing air into the bottom of the tank. I am using submersible pumps, I had to remove the axle and coat with plastic before using, I check them each day for corrosion and have seen none as of yet, these are used at the 4 corners to keep the solution moving in a circular pattern through the tank. I have a gravity filter set up to pass through a polypropylene sponge (thank you Lou), this captures the larger gold foils. It is then fed into a 30 gallon reef tank filter that is also made of Plexi. This has a acid resistant pump that sucks the solution through a series of three poly filters. I have yet to see any gold in the third filter, but the first two do collect a lot of finer gold foil. The Copper II Chloride is then pumped back into the tank by the acid pump, where it is pushed into the tank from the surface so that it introduces more oxygen into the solution, and keeps the solution moving around in the tank.

When the filters become so saturated that it makes a difference in the GPH I am moving, I shut off the pumps, remove the poly sponge filters/felt filters, and replace them with new ones. I then put the poly filters in a reaction vessel with AR. They come out totally white again and ready to replace the pregnant filters in the AP tank. It works amazingly well. I am thinking about making one for a sulfuric cell as well so it can be used continuously without having to stop, settle, filter before you can continue to process. But this will be far more involved, and take learning a few new tricks to make it work I think. But for AP, it is working great so far.

I am using plastic clips with poly cord that hang from two long plastic pips above. This allows me to clip onto whatever it is I am foiling gold off of. I put the material in the left side of the tank, and as I remove the ones from the right side, I move the material down ever closer to the right side of the tank. This allows the material to be hit by the circulating AP at different points. By the time it makes it to the right hand side it is totally stripped.

The only consumable (cost) is in electricity, I am planning on hooking it up to solar cells in the future so that it will not cost anything to operate at all.

I am in the process of moving, so the tank is coming apart soon. I am going to siphon from the tank into 55 gallon barrels already set up in a truck, then do the same to put it back in the tank once I move. When I get it all set up again I'll take pictures and video. The system works really well, I do have a little crazing on the plexi itself, but it's nothing I haven't seen before in some of my salt tanks, and it hasn't weakened the structural integrity of the tank at all.

Scott

A water softener brine / salt barrel mite be usable as an AP tank.
They are a little thinner, but seem to hold up to 200 lb of salt with no trouble.
I think most are about 30 gallon capacity and made of poly, with good fitting lids.

Also in an old softener resin/rosin cylinder it will have a dip tube to the bottom of the fiberglass cylinder that should have a fine mesh / slotted PVC basket that may make a good aerator already attached to a 4' piece of 1/2-3/4" PVC pipe.

http://tinyurl.com/9lv3l9n

Just a thought

Ray

Maybe this link will work.

http://www.google.com/search?q=water+softener+brine+tank&hl=en&prmd=imvnsfd&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&;ei=FjZ6UI7oBZPUyQHZ6oBw&sqi=2&ved=0CGEQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=527

Ray

actually, any large HDP plastic container with a loose fitting cover to keep out insects and rain water will work. if you want fume control, you will have to get a container with a tighter fitting lid so that exhaust ports can be fashioned into it. ive been toying with the idea of running an exhaust pipe to the bottom of a drum filled with limestone rocks and let the fumes pass through the limestone on its was out of the second drum. if you use fairly large stone, you would never need to change it out or replace it.that much limestone will soak up a lot of acidic vapors.

I was thinking about using one of these for my AP containers. The spigot would make it a lot easier to drain the solution. I wonder if it would clog easy? Has anyone else used a setup like this or thought about trying?

http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Bottling-Bucket-Spigot-Beer/dp/B000E62H8I

I use one like it when I have a lot of liquid that needs to settle. The bottling spigot is sold at brew stores for around 2.00-3.00 so go that rout its a .75in hole I believe.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bottling+valve&hl=en&tbm=shop&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=-xKUUPOtLOnm0gGmyoHoBw&ved=0CA4Q_AUoBQ&biw=1600&bih=785#hl=en&tbm=shop&sclient=psy-ab&q=bottling+Spigot&oq=bottling+Spigot&gs_l=serp.3..0.63342.63342.0.64537.1.1.0.0.0.0.90.90.1.1.0...0.0...1c.2.pRHLpN_LYUU&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=1c4a9ad74aefed03&bpcl=37189454&biw=1600&bih=785

This is online but around you they will be cheaper. Also on Craigslist you might get one for free. If you lived by me I have some old dirty ones that I replaced sitting around.

Eric

Back