Having trouble with sand bath

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rreyes097

Supporting Member
For some reason the sand bath isn't working for me. Tell me please which part of what I'm doing is the wrong part? Using pyrex dish, with play sand, on a hot plate. Set on high. The boards of which I'm trying to depopulate are mostly cell phone boards and various small boards. Should i be using the bbq?

Rreyes097 said:
For some reason the sand bath isn't working for me. Tell me please which part of what I'm doing is the wrong part? Using pyrex dish, with play sand, on a hot plate. Set on high. The boards of which I'm trying to depopulate are mostly cell phone boards and various small boards. Should i be using the bbq?
Can your hot plate melt soled easily?
being that solder's melting point can be any where form 90 to 450 °C it may do some and not others.

No need for pyrex, shallow pan may be better. Do not use too much sand. I use only about 5mm of sand in a shallow cake pan over gas stove. It is so fast that I can only do 6-8 at a time. I put them in and every time I remove one I put in next in its place. I can barely keep up so they not start smoking. 8 is a slavery cant stop for a second but 6 is pretty manageable.

Latest posts

Back