HCL/Bleach extraction method for gold foils, printer ribbons, SIM cards, and gold fingers

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaBOTHandyman

Wednesday September 9th, 2020

I began the extraction process earlier this afternoon quite successfully removing gold from my gold fingers + SIM cards/memory cards already. I next placed my ribbons into beakers. For some reason I also tried heating my solution slightly. Not all that hot at all. I'd guess possibly 100 degrees max. Also added roughly 35 ml of fresh HCL to my solution.
Upon contact gray fizz.
Pulling out the culprits, I discovered tin/lead soldier pieces still stuck to my gold bearing material. After removing them, about 20 minutes had passed upon my horror seeing now my solution was gray, and no longer yellow. Clearly gold was not being dissolved into solution anymore either.
Have I lost all my gold now? Did I screw up with both heating and adding about 35 ml of HCL? Can this be salvageable and fixed at all!?

Presently I've filtered everything now eagerly awaiting some good advice 🤔🙄

Normally, refiners try and remove the gold foils from the type material that
you are describing with the Acid Peroxide method (HCL + H2O2). After the foils
are loose and cleaned, then the gold from the gold foils are put into solution
using the HCL / bleach method.

Unless you dissolved all the metals when you put your scrap in your solution you won’t have any gold as it will have cemented back out, check you have gold in your solution using stannous, if you get a positive result add some sulphuric to precipitate the lead then filter your solution before precipitating your gold.

Appreciate the advice guys thanks !! No gold cemented on bottom. Wouldn't ya know my damn luck too that my whole entire bottle of stannous chloride earlier fell off the table - of course shattered into trillions of pieces, ultimately wrendering this simple test for gold in solution to at minimum be postponed until such time Amazon delivers my new bottle 😊
Admittedly I should have stuck to what I know. I was experimenting to find if it's possible to remove gold from gold fingers & SIM cards & gold bearing material w/ plastic medium using this process. I'd say it in fact was successful.... However this occurred throwing everything for a damn loop leaving my hands tied until I can confirm or deny one or either way ultimately.
Thanks again guys !!!

Question:

TIN ??

What if TIN, or ALUMINIUM, or some metals I am unaware of entirely are found ?

How does one remove Tin, aluminum, for example from this solution ??

Latest posts

Back