Heat??

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegaswinner

Would this be a suitable substitute for a lab hot plate, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390119807980?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 ? This hob offers a degree of temperature control but i'm not sure whether it would get hot enough to boil HCL or AR. Thanks

As you shouldn't be BOILING Hcl or AR, only warming to the point where evaporation is achieved then I don't see a problem heatwise with the item you have linked to above, if it will boil water then it should be warm enough for your proposed use.

vegaswinner said:
Would this be a suitable substitute for a lab hot plate, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390119807980?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 ? This hob offers a degree of temperature control but i'm not sure whether it would get hot enough to boil HCL or AR. Thanks

if you get aggressive with the heat, it's VERRRY different than just using the hotplate to warm something.

so you need a much tougher beaker (boiling beaker) if you're going to use a hot-plate to aggressively heat a solution containing HCl or AR.

if a beaker is going to brake on you - hopefully there will only be water in the beaker.

Photobacterium said:
if you get aggressive with the heat, it's VERRRY different than just using the hotplate to warm something.

so you need a much tougher beaker (boiling beaker) if you're going to use a hot-plate to aggressively heat a solution containing HCl or AR.

if a beaker is going to brake on you - hopefully there will only be water in the beaker.

Thanks for the replys... I don't know why I thought the boiling point of HCL was higher than water, wikipedia put me straight... After watching Sams cpu processing video I went and invested in a couple of nice 3L beakers :D These lab hotplates are expensive though so one thing at a time.

Vegas, remember that coffee pots are great for doing the "dirty" work & save the beakers for precipitating your PM's. Also, a Corning, for just in case the pot or beaker brakes, the solution can be saved.

Take care!

Phil

For what it's worth, I use a $9 crock pot from Walmart (with sand, $2.50 Home Depot). Set to low, set my iPhone timer for 60 minutes, come back and presto: evaporation. Not as fancy or quick as a hot plate, but it works.

I recommend the solid element hotplates over coil hotplates. The coil hotplates tend to get hot too quickly and acheive red heat. They also distribute heat unevenly. I use a double burner 1000W hotplate and never have to go above medium. At 1500W you would have more than enough to get the job done. Also, the price is right.

Hello vegaswinner,

There's one thing, which lets me feel somewhat sceptic: the note "Household use only" for the 1500 W hotplate offer.

Regards, freechemist

I use simple electric hobs single or double rings, use a steel plate to avoid uneven heating and they are cheap £20 and with a little care will last a fair time. Most cheap electrical shops have them there's loads here in Birmingham.

Nickvc.
I do not know what an electric hobs is?
Is it like a wire twisted to lift vessel off of hotplate or between vessels and hot Iron plate?
I understand the steel plate to evenly distribute heat.

Butcher perhaps I didn't describe it correctly. They are small electric rings that people use in caravans or where a proper cooker isn't installed, very cheap as most seem to come from China these days, they will blow if you leave them to overheat but with care they last pretty well and at around $30 worth the money and less earache from the good lady for stealing the slow pot.

Latest posts

Back