Hello I'm New.. and very interested

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranqmorne

So as you could tell i'm new here on the forum. I have been reading various threads and decided I should say hello.

A long time ago I was interested in the aqua rigua (ck sp) process and bought a DVD. That was about as far as I ever got. But I have found myself constantly coming back to the site and reading more.

I think I am interested in something similar to the (do i dare say) "Shor" like method or something along the lines of electrolosis? i think. I am very new to all of this and know that the more i read the better off i will be. With that being said please feel free to offer your advise as to where to start better understanding the process / and where to start gathering scrap. I am interested in all of the precious metals... Gold / silver / platnium / rodium / paladium ect.

aqua regia

If you have,or can get,an access to jewelry that would be a good place to start.The yields are the highest of any material,other than ore from the ground.
If you are not able to get jewelry then I would suggest starting to locate and collect Escrap.It takes an aweful lot to make a significant yield,however it is quite easy to obtain,most of the time for free.
Oh I almost forgot.....Welcome to the forum.

tranqmorne said:
I am very new to all of this and know that the more i read the better off i will be. With that being said please feel free to offer your advise as to where to start better understanding the process
That's easy. Read Hoke. In her book, you will learn how to identify metals by testing---as well as how to refine. When you have a firm understanding of what is published in Hoke's book, there are precious few examples of material types that you won't be able to process. She teaches the basics, and does it in terms that anyone can understand.

Welcome to the forum.

Harold

So as I am waiting on my Hoke book I kinda playing with the idea of taking apart a few circuit boards for fun, but im trying to figure out the best way to do it. I have been reading on here and i think that i may go with a desoldering tool. My question is: Is it better to use a tool that has a vacuum or to just use the solder absorbant string?

Also I notices that the soldering tools run at different temperatures/watts.. for this situation what would be best?

The idea of clean surgery is a losing proposition. If you spend time and money removing each component, you'll do good to make a dime per hour. Do a search on processing boards----and seek advice from those that process them routinely. I'm not your man.

Some use a heat gun or even a barbeque or toaster oven to heat the entire board, then tap it to remove all the components. I also advise you to read more on the forum-----there is much to learn that will aid you in your quest. Hoke does not discuss e scrap, as there was no such thing when she wrote her book. However, you will learn the fundamentals that are necessary for a clear understanding of refining and testing.

Harold

I found an easy but kind of messy way to depopulate boards. Milwaukee power tools have a chisel/scraper blade for a sawzall type reciprocating saw. The reciprocating chisel action zips everything off of a board in no time. All components pop off like mad. This will even remove pin blocks pretty fast. I sweep up the area after a run and sort components with a series of sieves. I did a bit of a time motion study and found it is easier and faster to strip everything off of a board and sort with a sieve set up rather than try to only take specific components for each run IE: take all flat packs, clean up, take all IC's clean up, take all pin blocks, clean up, take all mono caps.......

Pro's and con's...
Pro's....It is very fast at cleaning a board. With a bit of care it gets everything.

It is not too loud, but to mitigate the noise I listen to audio books on an mp3 player while I work.

It is fairly easy to set up a jig to hold your work. A variable speed sawzall is very controllable, (chips take very little effort, gold corner flat packs and pin blocks take a bit more) various size sieves make sorting easy.

Solder for the most part, stays on the board.

Cons...Dust. Although it is not a lot, it does get a bit dusty. Wear a dust mask or respirator.

I sweep up everything as the dust does contain visible gold.

Noise, not too loud but ear plugs would be a good idea. I listen to a book.

Wear safety glasses as pins are very agile and I have been struck in the safety glasses several times.

Flying parts, with this method the parts do fly everywhere, I block around my work area with large card board from broken down boxes.

I clean the area before work so I am not sweeping up unwanted junk after I am done stripping for the day.

Vibration. After a couple of hours the vibration does make my working hand a bit numb.

Remember you are working with a power tool so work with care. Don't get sloppy or it will bite you.

Notes..
Flip the blade occasionally to get better performance as it does wear a bit and will start to "ramp" over flatpacks as it wears. Just flip the blade or the saw and you proceed with a "sharper" edge to the flat pack. Wear is very minimal on the blade, less than a mm per hour.

Although this is not "Rocket surgery" you must pay attention to what you are chiseling, If you put the working tool up against something immovable such as the back of your jig, the saw will kick back with considerable force. Be aware.

I am still working with the downstream of this process and will let you know if it is worth while in the end.

Here you go Frank.
52180_49-00-5463-sm.jpg

52158_49-00-5456-sm.jpg

Link http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/sawzallreciprocating-saws/sawzall-blades/sawzall-material-removal-accessories

Here's one I picked up blade.jpg
I had trouble with the board flexing too much - sounds like your jig may be the ticket. Could you post a photo of that, as well?
thanks

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions and insite! I never would have thought of the jig saw route.. Funny seeing that I work at a hardware store :). A video would be great. With the soldering iron I found one that had a vacuum deal attached. I know it would take more time but on the objects that we know contain a decent amount of PM's like gold pins this might prevent having to worry about sweeping. I may try to use int on the good items and the jig saw on the rest. When I get to it I'll let you all know how it goes!

He uses a SAWzall (reciprocating saw) with a scraper blade attachment & uses a JIG to hold the boards in place.

Which hardware store? :p 8)

stay tuned - we may get a video out of this thread!

Got ya! Ya I would thing that a drimmel tool with the right attachment would work too.

Also while i was looking today i noticed that the handheld blowtorches for soldering have an attachment that fans the flame out flat.. made me wonder if that wouldnt be another option to try..

Its an ACE hardware. 8)

Back