Help I think I have a thief

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The 420 Kid

So hopefully somebody can tell me that there is a way to tell if a mineral or ore has been leached with Mercury. There any telltale signs that an ore has been stolen via Mercury leaching if so please let me know.

Mercury will dissolve Gold, but does so at a very slow rate. I do not know if it would dissolve say a 1/4 gram nugget, or if it did, how long it would take. Once again, you are not speaking the language of the trade. "Ore is an assemblage of metals and various other "gangue" components, at a profit.. Mercury will dissolve only micron thicknesses of the metals. So the Mercury will not steal the ore, only the metals. And only the readily exposed portion of the ore. So I guess you could break open the ore specimen to see if there is metal on the inside, while nothing is on the outside. However, many ores will have this same condition, or occurrence of distribution anyway. The only way for sure, is to take a before and after photo, to prove the presence of metal before you sent it to whomever, and after.

Mercury will dissolve Gold, but does so at a very slow rate. I do not know if it would dissolve say a 1/4 gram nugget, or if it did, how long it would take. Once again, you are not speaking the language of the trade. "Ore is an assemblage of metals and various other "gangue" components, at a profit.. Mercury will dissolve only micron thicknesses of the metals. So the Mercury will not steal the ore, only the metals. And only the readily exposed portion of the ore. So I guess you could break open the ore specimen to see if there is metal on the inside, while nothing is on the outside. However, many ores will have this same condition, or occurrence of distribution anyway. The only way for sure, is to take a before and after photo, to prove the presence of metal before you sent it to whomever, and after.
Thank you for the information all the orders that are suspected have a weird darkened spot where whatever it was touched it and took it out and the rest of it looks like it's been sucked dry of color but I'm taking it down tomorrow to have an assay done for trace amounts of mercury because I think that if I have been handling things that have had mercury on them without being told then I have been being poisoned and will take action accordingly

Maybe if you can post a picture we will have a better idea of what you are talking about.

I don't believe that you can use mercury to leach the precious metals out of a rock.

If you have a rock that contains gold and you submerged the rock in mercury you will have a rock that has mercury everywhere there's gold.
Mercury was mostly used in sluice boxes to catch small particles of gold and it has also been used to separate placer gold from black sands.
Did you send a sample of your rocks that you suspected to be ore to someone on the forum ?
If so is the sample considerably lighter than what you sent ?

Maybe if you can post a picture we will have a better idea of what you are talking about.

I don't believe that you can use mercury to leach the precious metals out of a rock.

If you have a rock that contains gold and you submerged the rock in mercury you will have a rock that has mercury everywhere there's gold.
Mercury was mostly used in sluice boxes to catch small particles of gold and it has also been used to separate placer gold from black sands.
Did you send a sample of your rocks that you suspected to be ore to someone on the forum ?
My camera is I've been told in the past many times on this site it's not very good so I will do my best. If you look even though it's a s***** picture is the best I can do but if you look at the dark spot that is w17119532687494432121912199115480.jpg17119536542918090450409642664103.jpghere I believe it has been leached from and you can see it on both of these specimens I have many more than that but I think these are the easiest to see it on so that is why I chose you for the pictures17119525524697731594922578367396.jpg17119523759073795230382148373899.jpg

I don't think they had enough to submerge it I think they just dropped some on top of them and let it do what it did and then move to the next Rock but like I said I'm about to show you a couple pictures so you can determine for yourself what you think happened the very last one I don't know if you can see in the picture but it looks all rusty on the end but if you could hold it in your hand and look at it it looks all rusty but it looks like I have to pale yellow under it like I said as if it was there and somebody somehow turned it to iron

My camera is I've been told in the past many times on this site it's not very good so I will do my best. If you look even though it's a s***** picture is the best I can do but if you look at the dark spot that is where I believe it has been leached from and you can see it on both of these specimens I have many more than that but I think these are the easiest to see it on so that is why I chose you for the picturesView attachment 62233View attachment 62232

Attachments

• VID_20240331_234547.mp4
    16 MB

No nobody on the forum sadly somebody has some ore on the property they gave me permission to process it to the best of my ability and take it in and have it analyzed upon seeing that it was decent day informed me that the stuff had to be left in a certain place after leaving it there overnight I came back and noticed the piles were getting smaller and then a couple days later again later the piles will get bigger again and I noticed that it was almost the same stuff but the color was like gray washed almost it looks like I was looking at a ghost of the former Rock with that one spot that looks like it's iron or something looks like it's been sapped from that spot.

No nobody on the forum sadly somebody has some ore on the property they gave me permission to process it to the best of my ability and take it in and have it analyzed upon seeing that it was decent day informed me that the stuff had to be left in a certain place after leaving it there overnight I came back and noticed the piles were getting smaller and then a couple days later again later the piles will get bigger again and I noticed that it was almost the same stuff but the color was like gray washed almost it looks like I was looking at a ghost of the former Rock with that one spot that looks like it's iron or something looks like it's been sapped from that spot.

My camera is I've been told in the past many times on this site it's not very good so I will do my best. If you look even though it's a s***** picture is the best I can do but if you look at the dark spot that is wView attachment 62234View attachment 62235here I believe it has been leached from and you can see it on both of these specimens I have many more than that but I think these are the easiest to see it on so that is why I chose you for the picturesView attachment 62233View attachment 62232

I don't think they had enough to submerge it I think they just dropped some on top of them and let it do what it did and then move to the next Rock but like I said I'm about to show you a couple pictures so you can determine for yourself what you think happened the very last one I don't know if you can see in the picture but it looks all rusty on the end but if you could hold it in your hand and look at it it looks all rusty but it looks like I have to pale yellow under it like I said as if it was there and somebody somehow turned it to iron
The camera may be good enough, but put the sample on a paper or similar and let the sample lay there.
Have plenty of light and focus on the object, there is no need to have your face on every picture.

It's impossible to "suck" or even leach gold out of massive stones. If you could do that no one would need to mill an ore to expose the gold.

Even cyanide leaching takes months and years of crushed ore and vat leaching cyanide that can be done in hours to days grinds the ore down to a slurry.

Dark spots can be anything from salt, oil or iron staining.

Göran

The round river rocks you presented, look like non Au bearing rocks to start with. It looks like they may have been sitting next to a bit of Iron, to stain them. What makes you think somebody has altered, or sucked the Au out of them? Only some fresh samples, assayed before the Gold suckers come along, will tell you if you have any in the first place.

The camera may be good enough, but put the sample on a paper or similar and let the sample lay there.
Have plenty of light and focus on the object, there is no need to have your face on every picture.
Okay look this is how poor I am okay I cannot take a better picture and I have to have my face in it because only the camera on my phone that faces me the selfie camera is the only one that works also I'm fighting Wi-Fi that keeps going in and out God I'm in a bad spot I just really need some help. Look I got a rock here that's like it's like a yellowish color but it's a greenish color and it looks like it's all cracked like a turtle shell almost but it has f****** gold veins visibly noticeable in it and the thing weighs like 30 pounds and it's only like 8 in by 8 in

Okay look this is how poor I am okay I cannot take a better picture and I have to have my face in it because only the camera on my phone that faces me the selfie camera is the only one that works also I'm fighting Wi-Fi that keeps going in and out God I'm in a bad spot I just really need some help. Look I got a rock here that's like it's like a yellowish color but it's a greenish color and it looks like it's all cracked like a turtle shell almost but it has f****** gold veins visibly noticeable in it and the thing weighs like 30 pounds and it's only like 8 in by 8 in
As Martijn said in the other thread, you need to start managing the resources you have, even more so if you have limited resources.
Start now with finding a flatish dish of kinds and start panning your crushed ore.
When you have concentrated some pick out what you can and collect them. then you go to a we buy Gold place and sell it.
Buy a Gold wash pan and continue washing, this time with better result and sell again.
And you are up and running.
No need for pictures no one can identify any Gold that way anyway, at least not unless it is a solid vein.

If you can crush the rock down to dust, you can use a pie plate to pan the powder to get to the gold. You can probably do this with things you already have at home and get the answer you seek for yourself. No money spent, just effort on your part so it should fit your budget.

Members here at the forum can suggest options for you but there are no hand holders here, it is your responsibility to follow basic instructions and come back with results, not accusations. When you have results we can assist you about taking the next step.

Many rock have manganese oxide in it.
and manganese oxide is a good oxidizer.

Some peoples (I hear about it) had been said
that manganese oxide with acid rain can leach out microscopic gold from the ore and/or outcrops.

the best option if You have limited resources
is
crush the rock and pan it
look for gold

the use of leaching method is quite expensive for prospectors and even small miners.

is not only the use and buy the chemicals
is the high use of water,for leaching method
you will need lot of water.

best option crush the rocks and pan it out
look for gold.

Last edited:
I have and old sledge hammer
man those old hammer last forever.

with that sledge hammer I have been crush lot of ore,pulveriser and pan it out
when i was in the field with out any other equipment ,just that sledge hammer ,my pan ,jewelry loupe and of course water
I look for a big rock ,where i can crush those rocks.
for testing out some piles of rocks in an abandoned mines.

I even crush many river rocks,of course You never know .
when i doubt I crush the rock and see what it’s containing.

i have found gold in an ancient river ,just by crushing some rounded river rocks
I look for some sedimentary rocks and/or for Quartz with rust stain and even for some pink stain.

Yes ,the gold fever hit me hard,I know that.

But if i see a rock that i like it,i crushed and panned.
is better to be sure

(Now I have a small portable rock crusher
Of course we need better equipment to do our testing ).

Last edited:
Back