Help me one more time with SnCl2 colors

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renaldas

There is a dental scrap I'm preferring to buy and refine. I tested each piece rubbing it approx the same amount of times to ceramic plate and adding approx the same amount of AR. Here you see initial colors of solutions and SnCl2 test results after several minutes, after 10 minutes and after 30 minutes respectively. There is a 1 gramm 999,9 gold bar in the left side as a standart to compare.
I'm interested in these dark green-blue ones, what do they contain?

Before adding SnCl2

Dental-scrap-SnCl2.jpg

After about 1 minute

Dental-scrap-SnCl2_1.jpg

After 10 minutes

Dental-scrap-SnCl2_2.jpg

After 30 minutes

Dental-scrap-SnCl2_3.jpg

Almost all appear to have gold content with the purple and black showing but its hard to say. If the ones that appear black in the pictures are actually a dark green they might contain palladium. You should buy some silver testing solution and test that way also. I think thats a small enough amount of scrap to warrent alloying with silver and dissolve in nitric to leave behind the noble metals. But if you indeed have palladium you will have to recover that out of solution too.

It's hard to see the colors. Were I you, I would study this book, get a 12 place spot plate (cheap), and test using her methods.

Attachments

• Testing_Precious_Metals_C.M_Hoke.pdf
    458.4 KB
goldsilverpro said:
It's hard to see the colors. Were I you, I would study this book, get a 12 place spot plate (cheap), and test using her methods.

Thank you for a book, I have read it promptly. Most of these fact were known for me, but it is quite difficult to test them on practice for me.
Look at this picture, here is the same dental scrap on the next morning. Where are all colors except purple gone? Can I be sure, that the pieces showing no purple color have no traces of gold?

Dental-scrap-SnCl2_4.jpg

Not the question you asked, but this is an excellent example of a time when you can use AR to advantage in sorting values from non-values. It requires that you use excellent judgment, however, in that it's easy to toss values if you're careless, or you don't understand what you witness. Testing with stannous chloride is critical to success.

I occasionally would receive a batch of dental materials to process. Many of the white colored alloys contain gold, along with the platinum metals, although the vast majority do not have value to the refiner. In order to avoid sorting and testing each individual piece, my process revolved around an initial incineration, to remove any contaminants, then the lot was introduced to AR and heated. As the metals dissolve, everything that is present will go in to solution, which leans towards a dark brown color (assuming there are base metals present).

As the acid level is consumed, any base metals that are present will start cementing the values, so you'd notice the formation of dark particles, and the color of the solution shifts towards green. Given enough time (all the while being heated), all of the values are cemented, leaving only a solution of base metals. At that point, assuming the cemented particles are allowed to settle, the solution can be discarded, and a new, small batch of AR again introduced to the lot. This process is repeated until there is no further cementing of values, at which time the entire lot is dissolved, evaporated, filtered, then processed for values. A small percentage of base metals tends to follow the values by this method, with rare exception.

Harold

Harold_V said:
Not the question you asked, but this is an excellent example of a time when you can use AR to advantage in sorting values from non-values. It requires that you use excellent judgment, however, in that it's easy to toss values if you're careless, or you don't understand what you witness. Testing with stannous chloride is critical to success.

I occasionally would receive a batch of dental materials to process. Many of the white colored alloys contain gold, along with the platinum metals, although the vast majority do not have value to the refiner. In order to avoid sorting and testing each individual piece, my process revolved around an initial incineration, to remove any contaminants, then the lot was introduced to AR and heated. As the metals dissolve, everything that is present will go in to solution, which leans towards a dark brown color (assuming there are base metals present).

As the acid level is consumed, any base metals that are present will start cementing the values, so you'd notice the formation of dark particles, and the color of the solution shifts towards green. Given enough time (all the while being heated), all of the values are cemented, leaving only a solution of base metals. At that point, assuming the cemented particles are allowed to settle, the solution can be discarded, and a new, small batch of AR again introduced to the lot. This process is repeated until there is no further cementing of values, at which time the entire lot is dissolved, evaporated, filtered, then processed for values. A small percentage of base metals tends to follow the values by this method, with rare exception.

Harold

Tell me, please, platinum brown color will remain permanently, or it dissapears after time?

Renaldas said:
Tell me, please, platinum brown color will remain permanently, or it dissapears after time?
I have been away from refining since 1994, so my memory has grown dim. To add to the problem, I always used a spot plate for testing, which was rinsed to my stock pot when I had concluded any testing. However, I'm of the opinion that the display should remain when the solution dries. If it does not, it may be because of excessive acid, whereby if the stannous chloride does react, the display is re-dissolved. Just guessing, I hope you understand.

The reason I provided the processing method, above, is that it allows you to process without testing. If, of course, you are buying the material, my method would not serve the purpose. It then becomes important for you to be able to identify the values. It really calls for a proper assay.

Harold

Here is a picture of a stannic test done on a piece of coffee filter after drying for 20 minutes. The solution was 40 grams per liter platinum that was relatively pure (.99+) so there is little in the way of contaminating elements to mask or alter the stannic/platinum color reaction.

Attachments

• 40g per lt Pt after drying 20 min stannic.jpg
    40g per lt Pt after drying 20 min stannic.jpg
    144.4 KB
Harold_V said:

Harold

Thank you!
What to you think, if I add SnCl2 to this papers, which are completely dry now, would it show the real color changes, or I need to take a new solution for testing?

Oz said:
Here is a picture of a stannic test done on a piece of coffee filter after drying for 20 minutes. The solution was 40 grams per liter platinum that was relatively pure (.99+) so there is little in the way of contaminating elements to mask or alter the stannic/platinum color reaction.

As you see on my pictures, there are also such brown colors after testing. Some of them turned blue-green/emerald after 5 - 10 min, showing it is Pd, some of them remained brown for a longer time, but almost all dissapeared on the next day. I think, maybe only gold color remains for a long time, and other metals show color changes only at first time and dissaper later..?
What is about your Pt color after one day, havent you saw it?

Renaldas said:
What to you think, if I add SnCl2 to this papers, which are completely dry now, would it show the real color changes, or I need to take a new solution for testing?
Sorry, I don't know, but it would be a great experiment for you to perform. I'd apply a few drops to paper (several specimens, not several drops in one place), drops that are known to react, then allow them to dry. If a stannous test yields results, you have a reliable answer.

Should you go to the trouble to do the test, please post your results, so others can benefit from your efforts.

Harold

Latest posts

Back