help on stannous chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd12586

After taking out all the gold from the green solution.I test the solution with stannous chloride and it came back positive. So let it sit for 2 days but no gold. I test it again and still positive. How can I get the gold that leftover. thanks

they told me that it was a board cover with gold and some gold that they peeled off from a plated

it was about 8 oz . I already recover some of the gold about 21 grams. I'm still new to this what does AP mean?

jd12586 said:
it was about 8 oz . I already recover some of the gold about 21 grams. I'm still new to this what does AP mean?

AP is acid peroxide. It is a work around, or newer trick for not using nitric.
What did you use to put your material into solution?

Jim

If you still have free nitric in solution that is why you still get a positive for gold.
Have you read Hoke's book? I think its on page 44 removal of excess nitric acid.

Jim

I don't use urea, you don't need it. Hoke explains how to proceed on page 44 like I said before.
You really should read that book until you understand it before proceeding. You should really explain better what you have done to this point. You said; "they told me that it was a board cover with gold and some gold that they peeled off from a plated"
Does this mean someone else gave you the solution as it is or did you process this? What was this board cover? Were there any metals left in your solution? What are you using to precipitate the gold? It is a lot of guessing for someone to answer you when all the facts are not given. Also a picture of this positive test and solution may help.

jimdoc said:
I don't use urea, you don't need it. Hoke explains how to proceed on page 44 like I said before.
You really should read that book until you understand it before proceeding. You should really explain better what you have done to this point. You said; "they told me that it was a board cover with gold and some gold that they peeled off from a plated"
Does this mean someone else gave you the solution as it is or did you process this? What was this board cover? Were there any metals left in your solution? What are you using to precipitate the gold? It is a lot of guessing for someone to answer you when all the facts are not given. Also a picture of this positive test and solution may help.

I'm reading it right now. My uncle gave me the bottle that had small pieces board cover with gold and the gold that was peeled out of a plate. I did the process. I will put photo tomorrow morning because I don't have my camera right now. I followed this step:

1.Obtain the correct amount of chemicals and appropriate size containers for the amount of scrap metal you wish to refine. You will need 300 milliliters of container capacity, 30 milliliters of nitric acid, and 120 milliliters of hydrochloric acid for every ounce of metal you intend to refine.

2.Add your scrap materials and the appropriate amount of nitric acid, as mentioned above, to the smaller of your plastic containers. Wait 30 minutes before adding the hydrochloric acid. Let the chemical reaction develop overnight to be sure that all of the gold has dissolved.

3.Filter the particles out of the acid in the plastic container by attaching a Buchner funnel filter and pouring the remaining liquid into the larger of the plastic containers. The resulting acid will be deep green and translucent.

4.Create a urea and water solution by boiling a quart of water and combining it with one pound of urea. Pour this mixture into the acid slowly until no more chemical reaction can be observed. This process raises the pH levels of the acid, thereby eliminating the nitric acid.

5.Heat a quart of water to boiling and add the sodium bisulphite to the boiling water in the ratio of 1 ounce of sodium bisulphate for every ounce of metal being refined. Pour this mixture slowly into the acid and wait for a reaction.

6.Observe the muddy separation that collects at the bottom of the acid container. This substance is pure gold. Extract the gold from the container by pouring off the acid using a filter.

Where did you get those directions? I will have to wait to see some pictures, others may understand what is going on.

Jim

jimdoc said:
Where did you get those directions? I will have to wait to see some pictures, others may understand what is going on.

Jim
I found them online after I found this forums. Did I did something wrong? Can you help me out? thanks

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    2.3 MB
  • photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    1.8 MB
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    2.7 MB
jd12586 said:
jimdoc said:

Jim
I found them online after I found this forums. Did I did something wrong? Can you help me out? thanks

You found the place for trusted knowledge here on this forum, why would you follow instructions you found out there in the world of everybody is an expert (that really isn't) after you found this place?

By going straight to aqua regia you put all metals into solution, that is a problem you should have avoided.

The swab in the picture doesn't look positive to me.

Others will have to give you advice as I am not an expert like a lot of the other guys.

I would like to see a picture of the 21 grams of gold you precipitated.

You probably still have gold in the "stuff that didn't dissolve in the solution"

Jim

My uncle wanted to do that way. I told him that I found a forum that can help us out. But he said I was going to take a lot of time to find the info. I just told him that is your stuff we can do it your way.

I have not had such a mess to deal with but I would be tempted to try aqua regia on the solids again.

At least on a sample of them. And then test with stannous. The purple stain from a positive test will not fade or change colors.

jimdoc said:
jd12586 said:
jimdoc said:

Jim

You found the place for trusted knowledge here on this forum, why would you follow instructions you found out there in the world of everybody is an expert (that really isn't) after you found this place?

By going straight to aqua regia you put all metals into solution, that is a problem you should have avoided.

The swab in the picture doesn't look positive to me.

Others will have to give you advice as I am not an expert like a lot of the other guys.

I would like to see a picture of the 21 grams of gold you precipitated.

You probably still have gold in the "stuff that didn't dissolve in the solution"

Jim

there is some of the gold

Attachments

• photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    2.6 MB
I don't see any sign of gold on that swab.

Do you have a standard gold solution to test your stannous?

Do you have dimethylglyoxime (DMG) to test for palladium?

qst42know said:
I don't see any sign of gold on that swab.

Do you have a standard gold solution to test your stannous?

Do you have dimethylglyoxime (DMG) to test for palladium?

The first time I test my solution the swab color was black. A day past and I test it again the swab color now is brown. I don't have standard gold solution right now and i don't have dimethylglyoxime. I would like to know if the directions I post are wrong.

Latest posts

Back