Help with a working tube.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justincase

Supporting Member
I have managed to find a small tube furnace.
It is not overly complicated but I believe it will let me reduce Metal salts effectively.
I have found a company in(I know before you say it but it is a price I will not cry at if and when I crack up,forgive the pun)China who can manufacture a quartz tube to my specifications for a reasonable price.
Obviously, I need it to be twice the length of the furnace so one end will act as a condenser for vaporised salt's.
And I need two end caps. one ported for vacuum and atmosphere introduction,the one closest the mouth of the furnace with a thermocouple port.
I would very much appreciate any input into the tube design anyone might have .
Trial and error learning is quite costly even when the parts come form China.
Much thanks
Justin

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    566.7 KB
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    333.5 KB
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    330.8 KB
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    346.7 KB
This is a picture I took a few years back of a tube furnace at auction and the bucket of quartz tubes that went with it. The end of the tubes you do not see is just open tube at the same diameter as the main body of each tube. The narrow end connects to your carrier gas.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Forgot to note the Furnace is a Thermcraft 3" x 36" furnace with a controller and it came with the 15 tubes in the picture.

Without deflating you totally, the thing sold for $25. Auctions give up some amazing deals if you are in the right place at the right time.

Yet again thank you.
That would take some weight.
We just do not get as nice a kit as you do on the American Continent.you are quite advanced industrially and the equipment trickles down.
Only a hand full of companies in the U.K. work with that kind of kit and they tend to stay afloat as they are old money,thus, the kit never go's to auction.
There are a number of items that will cost me twice the amount you pay because they are just not available outside the U.S.
The drawback of being on a very small island with a draconian import policy.
Funny enough I use to do quite a lot of auctions,did quite well with silver service.
Since I started refining I can never seem to get the day's right or have the time to travel anymore.I do not miss the standing around and cold tea.But it may be warmer where you are.LOL

What are you trying to do with it?

Seems a bit small for anything other than experimental work.

Lou said:
What are you trying to do with it?

Seems a bit small for anything other than experimental work.
Platinum(II)-ammonium chloride to start.
then may be tackle my Pd.
I do not have a lot.and experimental size seems a good place to start.
But being able to come up with accurate figures for sample lot's might be of use in the future.

Tube furnaces (especially rotating) are in my opinion one of the most useful things to have in a proper refinery AND any analytical lab doing auto catalyst analyses.

Let me know when you are ready and we will start a proper tube furnace thread.

Latest posts

Back