Help With Clearing Stainless Steel Substitute for Crucible Lol

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowdog20

I didn't have a bigger crucible, so decided to try using my stainless steel coffee cup to do a smelt. Well, it did what I wanted and I got a lot of grey metal. Which I am sure came from both gold and silver I saw in the source material.
The metals don't want to come free. I've been trying to flux it out to no avail. It's a lot in there, like 5 ozs.

I was preoccupied when this was first posted, so I didn't respond. Molten metals are great solvents for other metals. Circuit boards often go through a solder process where the solder temperature is far below the melting point of gold, but from time to time the solder bath has to be replaced because it's become "contaminated" with gold that has dissolved into the solder in the process.

I expect you created an alloy at the surface of your cup that now includes gold, silver, and the components of the stainless steel. I doubt you could flux and melt it out, just as you can't heat a wire that has solder on it and expect the solder to just separate from the wire.

Dave

Cut the stainless steel away from the mass and refine as it is. The metal is welded together and no real way of separating without refining.
Good luck.

Latest posts

Back