Help With Mixed Gold Plated scrap

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewincincy

I attended an estate sale last weekend in Cincinnati. Looking at what they had for sale i noticed an older computer that the man had near the garbage. When i asked him if he was going to throw it away, he said ya, you can have it and asked me if if i was refining Gold. I said well, that's the plan.. someday. He explained that he had been collecting gold scrap for years and never got around to doing anything other than putting it in a Miracle whip jar. He wasn't kidding, he went inside and came out with an entire family size jar of gold plated scrap pins, different connectors and god knows what else. He then said, merry Christmas you can have it to, i will never get around to it. It appears that he did a good job as everything looks to be plated or brazed, however he put everything from every electronic he ever took apart in one mayo jar.

I am still learning and not ready to do anything else but to keep collecting at this point. I know enough to know that this isn't good because it looks to me like there is pins of various sizes,from probably hundreds of computers, what looks to be trimmed parts of connectors, some phone jacks pins,to just tons of pieces of gold plated metal. Not literally tons but an entire Miracle whip jar. I am excited to have it but Where do i start? Most pieces are not even able to be identified, he has trimmed off anything that wasn't gold plated so i can't even put the pins with pins or even begin to make any kind of order out of it all. the only i could think to do was separate magnetic from non magnetic pieces. Which about 90% are Any thoughts?

The man was smart. He still had his gold in the jar, if he would have tried to recover and refine it with acids, before he understood how it is done he surely would have lost his gold in the process.

Now where do you start. Keep studying. keep the gold pins in the jar until you understand how to deal with them, that way you do not loose your gold trying something you do not understand yet.

Your on the right track right now, collect scrap and study, save that small jar of gold pins and add to its volume, your gold will go nowhere and will be there when your ready.

butcher said:
The man was smart. He still had his gold in the jar, if he would have tried to recover and refine it with acids, before he understood how it is done he surely would have lost his gold in the process.

Now where do you start. Keep studying. keep the gold pins in the jar until you understand how to deal with them, that way you do not loose your gold trying something you do not understand yet.

Your on the right track right now, collect scrap and study, save that small jar of gold pins and add to its volume, your gold will go nowhere and will be there when your ready.
Thanks butcher, i am studying and wont make a move until i am ready. So the mix of different types of gold plate and braze is ok? I was under the assumption that when i am ready to process that these pins, connectors, are of different base metals and have to processed differently?

When you gain enough knowledge to process the material you have, and other gold plated scrap too, you'll probably be better served processing the pins in a sulfuric cell. You may want to keep the magnetic pins in one group and the non magnetic in another group, and process each group by itself.

Hold on to the material until you understand the basics of refining and you read and study all of the safety precautions when using any and all acids and have all the protective gear needed. Don't skimp on any protection. One mistake can be very costly in recovery efforts and human life.

Be safe.

MrMylar said:
When you gain enough knowledge to process the material you have, and other gold plated scrap too, you'll probably be better served processing the pins in a sulfuric cell. You may want to keep the magnetic pins in one group and the non magnetic in another group, and process each group by itself.

Hold on to the material until you understand the basics of refining and you read and study all of the safety precautions when using any and all acids and have all the protective gear needed. Don't skimp on any protection. One mistake can be very costly in recovery efforts and human life.

Be safe.
Absolutely, i am taking this very seriously, I don't want to lose my material, or develop a health condition because of my love for PM's. I really don't see myself ever losing interest in this so i might as well learn to do it right. Thanks you guys, i appreciate it.

I'm aware of over 30 forum members from Ohio, though some are no longer active here. I'm on the east side of Cincinnati as well, maybe ten minutes away from you Impster.

Dave

It's a small world. My wife and I use to live in Eastgate. After Iraq, I did two years of flight training at Sportys just down the road. Now I'm disabled, in my 30's, and have too much free time on my hands. It's a good time to get into gold refining. :lol:

Thanks for your service Darnkess! I did some work in Eastgate Monday (bad relay in estop circuit). I have a friend originally from Switerland that did flight training at Sportys.

I concur! Thank You for defending our liberty. Although I believe it to be a bogus conflict, there are still our brave heroes that must do our governments dirty work. :cry: :cry: I'm in Barberton, just south of Akron.

I noticed that as soon as i signed up. :) I am from Colerain Township, Northgate area about 25 min from Eastgate. Wouldn't mind meeting all of you someday.

Drewincincy said:
I noticed that as soon as i signed up. :) I am from Colerain Township, Northgate area about 25 min from Eastgate. Wouldn't mind meeting all of you someday.

I'd be good with that.

Latest posts

Back