Help with process and a question.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much eethr I will follow these instructions you gave me. I do not have a window in my shed so I will have to have one and try to mount a fan to it. I have one of those old round metal fans that blows very well I will set that one up. Also I will focus on finding the easiest method to start with first, I was at first trying to learn them all but i think it would be much better for me to focus on one for now and get practice with it.

Is this why you guys suggested using peroxide ?

Yes, in my first post I made a big mistake and said bleach when I should have said peroxide....My screw up!
You will use the hydrochloric and chlorine bleach ( HCL-Cl) later on to dissolve the gold foils left from the AP (Acid/Peroxide) process. There are steps in between, so look up the processes and understand what you are doing beforehand. If you have ANY question, ask before making a possible mistake.
We are all here to help each other to understand and learn and to make this as much fun as possible. 8)

Mizzladygurl said:
Thank you very much eethr I will follow these instructions you gave me. I do not have a window in my shed so I will have to have one and try to mount a fan to it. I have one of those old round metal fans that blows very well I will set that one up. Also I will focus on finding the easiest method to start with first, I was at first trying to learn them all but i think it would be much better for me to focus on one for now and get practice with it.

MLG---

You're on the right track. Once you create some fumes, you'll know if it's working or not, and you can see how to fine tune it if necessary. You would have figured it out yourself, sooner or later---I just gave you a heads up as to what to expect.

A/P is a good process to start with.

Remember, there are two major categories of processing precious metals. One is recovery, and the other is refining. Don't confuse the two, and don't try to combine the two.

The A/P method is a recovery process. With it, your goal is to dissolve the base metals only.

Once your precious metals are separated from the base metals, that is when you do a refining process. Refining involves dissolving precious metals, selectively precipitating only one of them at a time, back into solid form, and cleaning the powders further with various types of rinses, and then a second refining to get .999 fine or better. Harold_V has posted a very complete list of steps, with explanations for each, in several of his posts over the years. It should be pretty easy to use the Search function at the top right of each page, to locate one of his lists of steps.

Take it a little at a time, and you won't get overwhelmed.

Above all, have fun.

Latest posts

Back