Hi all. Got alot of rocks w gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try to find a local rock collector's club. They'll be able to guide you to local, regional, and national shows.

The biggest show I know of is held in Tucson, AZ every year. I first went back in the 1980s. There's a main show in a large convention facility, but there are so many folks selling that they book entire motels in the area. Dealers rent the rooms, put the beds up against the walls, and fill the rooms with tables and their wares. The last I heard, there were something like 60 motels being rented this way. There are buyers for everything.

It may not be worth it for you to travel to Tucson, but there are sure to be many shows closer to you. You just need to get connected to the network.

Dave
Try Quartzite, AZ. It is the biggest and oldest., a great place to get the pulse of the market. If you can't sell it (or buy it there), then there's some re-thinking coming due.

Your photos are fine, the material is very pretty. Not to be insulting, this is they type of material I toss in my load when everything else that has visible or assayable/scannable values is already loaded. I'm saving some of the prettiest pieces to sell as samples, milling and smelting the rest. If you flake off some of the chalcopyrite, you can do a malleability test with a hammer and a flat steel surface. Gold with a high level of purity will cleanly flatten, the edges won't crack. It also has high ductility- you can draw it out into a very fine wire, if pure, about one ounce per mile. Silver is also malleable, just not as much as gold, and ductile but less so. Lesser % purity gold will flatten, but the edges will crack, especially if it contains lead, tin, copper. Pyrites will just shatter. Exposure to intense sunlight will make pyrites turn brownish due to surface oxidation. The stench of smelting pyrite is also pretty offensive, neighbors may complain.
How do you go about selling your samples? I've tried a few places and haven't had any bites. Thanks

Your ore looks to be composed of mainly Chalcopyrite. Some around here assays around 3 Ozs. Troy per ton. It looks very much like your ore in the photos. I have seen ore similar to yours assay at .01 oz. per ton. So unless you get it assayed, you will never know what quantities of PMs are contained within. Once you get it assayed, if it contains a high PM content, it will make it much more salable at gem and mineral shows. Have some extra copies of the assay reports to show to buyers. Be honest, or your reputation will head south very quickly. Chalcopyrite is a very plentiful mineral, and does not command a high price per pound, unless you have some with very unique features, making it more rare then run of mine ore.
Selling at gem and mineral shows, as well as rock shops, will make you have to sell to retailers at what is referred to as "whole sale pricing". The retailers have to set up booths or store fronts, incurring the high cost of marketing and sitting on the product. hence the low number they will offer you for your samples. I have been to gem and mineral shows where they actually give small samples, like the size in your photos, to children for free. This is to get people interested in mineral collecting, buying more expensive pieces. as they grow up, and get fatter wallets.
Long story short, get an assay to determine if you have high grade Gold associated with the Chalco, or just Copper ore with maybe a trace of PMs.

Back